Medical Questions > Relationships > Family Relationships Forum

Safer Way to Get Relief From Stress

I have dropped my career as a graphic designer after my husband has been transferred to Boston who is a corporate executive. The situation changed when John lost his job in a corporate reorganization. My children are in high school now and they can take care of themselves. I would really love to start my job again and I think it would be financially sensible. My husband does not agree with me and this is causing stress in my family life. He has starting taking a few medicines without a physician’s consultation. Can anyone suggest a better and safe way? All tips and suggestions are welcome.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 21st, 2008
He definitely needs to see someone about the bottled up issues. He as a man thinks that he has to provide for his family, that is why he doesn't want you to work. If you work in some way you are hurting his ego and self- pride. He self medicates and that can become an issue, suggest going to a psychologist, maybe a minster @ your local church, seek some type of professional guidance before his self medicating becomes a more serious issue.
|

replied March 22nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Geez
I would deffinatly start looking for you career job now. If hubby has gone to street drugs, this is not a start to a good ending. You need to be ready to support yourself if needed. Marriage is a partnerships and not an ownership. Remember that. I say get out there and start looking for future sake. He is starting down a bad road which could lead to a doom and gloom future and you need to be ready for that girl.
Once you fine a job and show him that you are an individual that can think for herself, he may have a change of heart. Stand up for yourself. We are equal now!

Carrie
|

User Profile
replied March 22nd, 2008
Community Volunteer
Go for it girl!

Your husband not wanting you to have your career when you have no other duties in the home (your children don't need you 24/7) is unreasonable. I don't understand this thing of husbands thinking that they can control their wives lives like this. I just answered another post about a deployed soldier who doesn't let his wife have a job or friends, and she has nothing to do all day!

Your husband's taking of unauthorized medications proves and contributes to his unbalanced state of mind and you should really get him some sort of help before his problems snowball into a point of no return.
|
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....