Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

Can Osteoarthritis Be Prevented?

While surfing on the internet, I read an article which says that:

A number of factors make osteoarthritis more likely:
• increasing age,
• obesity (which puts added strain on some joints),
• joint injury or over-use (professional sportspeople are particularly prone),
• family history of osteoarthritis.

Some people who have rheumatoid arthritis also develop so-called secondary osteoarthritis in the joints where their rheumatoid arthritis was active.

My granny has it Osteoarthritis and I fear that I have it later on also. Can I take medication to prevent to prevent me from having it? My granny take Daclin and I would like to know if I can take it too so as to avoid getting it later on?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Prevention ... not that I know of. But you might try glucosamine sulfate supplements should you ever be diagnosed with arthritis...some swear by it and it helps them feel almost no pain. Glucosamine sulfate is all natural...I've just bought 5 packs of it (I'm 31 with arthritic knees) so I'll let you know how it goes.

Smile
|

replied August 19th, 2007
Hi again and thanks for your concern,

Quote:
Glucosamine sulfate is all natural...I've just bought 5 packs of it (I'm 31 with arthritic knees) so I'll let you know how it goes.

yes sure, that would be great !!!!
|

User Profile
replied August 20th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Jeena- just in case I forget, can you PM me in a month to remind me to post about the results here?

Thanks, Yoga
|
Must Read
Osteoarthritis is a type of joint disease that causes the most disability in the U.S. But what is osteoarthritis? Review types of osteoarthritis and stages here...
Aging may cause osteoarthritis, but what behaviors put you at risk of developing this type of joint disease? And are you at risk of osteoarthritis?...
Symptoms of osteoarthritis progressively worsen over time. What signs and symptoms can you look for? And when should you seek medical help for joint pain?...