Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

My Fathers is addicted to fentanyl, not acting like himself

My father is addicted to fentanyl. friday he was rushed to the emergency room for overdosing. Hes still in the hospital.. he was sick but was talking normal and acting like himself saturday and since monday hes not himself...he barely talks..its like hes a toddler. he speaks slower, he repeats words like saying hi 4 times in a row..he doesnt even pay attention when we talk most the time. its like hes in another world. Ive tried talking to the doctors...they think hes normal because he can tell people what day it is and say his name...hes not normal....he doesnt talk like a 55 year old man like he used its more like a 4 year old..its really scaring me..does anybody have a clue on what could be wrong?
Also ive been told they're giving him psychiatric drugs...could that be something thats making him act like this?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 14th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
This could be the effect of neurotrophic drugs.
As he is oriented,hence there is nothing serious to be worried about it.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: act
Quick Reply
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mental Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.