I am 17 and since I was 15 I have been having problems with my voice. I use to have a very strong voice and was very comfortable with it, but now I can't even talk in loud places because no one will hear me. I feel that my voice is always low and raspy and I can never clear my throat. I am very uncomfortable with my voice, and its so bad that I barley talk anymore and my friends can't understand why. Once about a year ago I took a medicine called Mucinex for about a week and my voice felt normal so i stopped using it, then about a week later all the symptoms came back. I tried using it again but now that wont even work. WHATS WRONG WITH MY VOICE!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 22nd, 2008
Supporter
Are you male or female? Is this problem still occuring? Does anything change with season and/or weather differences?
|

replied January 22nd, 2009
voice problems
sometimes it can be the fact that pollen & molds
were in the air during spring,
that causes laryngitus,
"swollen vocal chords" after that then comes the hoarsness which is what I have now.
I sing & my high pitches are gone.
The voice comes back, & it could take several months to get to full strength.
Drink plenty of water, decaf tea, & also wait for
the warm weather to break because I've lost my voice over & over again & it came back over & over again but!
It was mostly during spring/summer or warm environments.
what you want to do is protect it when it comes back.
stay away from mowed lawns during the spring. & stay out of the pollenated air as much as possible.
lots of water always all year. hot tea decaf.
& voice rest meaning no talking or singing.
God bless much love to you friend.
|

replied March 27th, 2009
voice problems
It may be that your voice is going through natural changes that you're just not used to yet (i.e.puberty). I'd suggest you get a voice coach or see a speech pathologist. They can give you a good idea as to what might be causing your voice issues and determine whether you require serious intervention with surgery or voice retraining (various vocal exercises to get your voice back to its natural tone). A professional can prevent you from making a bad transition into your new voice and help you avoid bad vocal habits that can develop into serious voice problems like nodes and polyps or other bad vocal habits. And always get a second, third, fourth opinion, or more. I'm on this forum looking for more opinions with my problems. No one knows your body better than you.

I know how painful it is not being able to express who you are through your voice. I hope you figure it all out and you get your voice to where YOU know it should be.
|

replied October 7th, 2009
voice problems
Hi Poncey, you may find the following website useful: http://www.lary.org.uk/

It is an organisation for people with voice problems.
Have a look at the information section in particular and their forum where you can get advice/support from others with voice problems.
http://www.lary.org.uk/index.php/informati on/living-with-a-voice-problem
http://www.lary.org.uk/laryforum/

All the best
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....