Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

'eye Bags' Make Me Look Like I Heven't Slept In a Year

Yes, I know, not the eye itself, but with so many forums, this seemed the best place to ask.

Basically, for the past few years (and probably longer, although I wasn't too bothered with my face back then), the area under my eyes make me look like I haven't slept in a year. I am 20 right now, by the way.

It hasn't got any worse since I noticed (if it has, it has been ever so gradual), and didn't go away during my few months of unemployment, when I was getting on average 11 hours of sleep a day. I currently get between 9 and 8 hours of sleep a night on worknights.

Could this be caused by a vitamin or mineral deficiency? I did grow up on a wacky diet. Please, throw me any possible causes for this, apart from tiredness.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 6th, 2007
Re: 'eye Bags' Make Me Look Like I Heven't Slept In a Year
thealmightyone wrote:
Yes, I know, not the eye itself, but with so many forums, this seemed the best place to ask.

Basically, for the past few years (and probably longer, although I wasn't too bothered with my face back then), the area under my eyes make me look like I haven't slept in a year. I am 20 right now, by the way.

It hasn't got any worse since I noticed (if it has, it has been ever so gradual), and didn't go away during my few months of unemployment, when I was getting on average 11 hours of sleep a day. I currently get between 9 and 8 hours of sleep a night on worknights.

Could this be caused by a vitamin or mineral deficiency? I did grow up on a wacky diet. Please, throw me any possible causes for this, apart from tiredness.
I dont really know how the bags start.. but this may sound odd.... Hemroid cream takes the swelling down and minimizes blood vessels wich make for the darkness around ur eyes. If u put "Preperation H" on it should reduce it significantly
|

replied August 6th, 2007
Significantly you say? I will have to try this immediately.

Should I apply once a day?
|

replied August 6th, 2007
Experienced User
I did a little research on this and it states that;
Eye bags are caused by toxins.

Toxic foods such as MSG, hydrogenated fats, food additives
and so on will cause bags under the eyes.

Minimize all dairy products and you will see a difference
in eye appearance.

Drinks lots and lots of water

A good diet is the best cure and sleeping is a great healer too.

Next to reduce puffiness you can try masks, cooling eye-pads, and cucumber slices. But these measures are temporary.
Good luck and maybe posting pics of the before and after might help us to know if these measures work or not.
=D
|

replied August 6th, 2007
Ok. I will defo drink more water. Regarding dairy products, I hardly have cheese, and the only milk I drink is with my cereal in the morning. Not sure about having no dairy products at all, as I'm sure I need some calcium.

I'll take a pic of my eyes soon (will add on this post via an edit). Looked in the mirror just now, and they are actually quite bad. Probably all the additives I eat, so will sort out my diet straight away.

EDIT: The camera on my phone does not have the quality required. And, looking at my eyes in more detail, seems I have both:
a) A small bag under each eye.
b) A small, blue streak (veins) running from inner corner of eye, following the contour of bottom of bag until it's almost in line (vertically) with centre of iris.

I might be stupid, and they may go hand in hand with each other.
|
Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....