Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

Can I be pregnant with positive HPT but negative blood test

User Profile
My breasts seem to have gotten bigger and look different , frequent urination, nausea and extreme tiredness and i have kind been of trying to get pregnant so thought i was so i took a ept test that was positive then had a blood test which was negative but my period was late and now just started bleeding slightly but looks different from my regular period which is normally heavy its brownish and a gooey consistancy and very light like maybe 1-2 tbsps of blood. Can I be pregnant?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 20th, 2007
Getting Pregnant Answer A3221
Blood-based pregnancy tests are much more accurate than home pregnancy tests; you are probably not pregnant. A late period is the first sign of pregnancy but a “late period” doesn’t always indicate a pregnancy. A late menstrual period can be present in cases of disturbed balance of the sexual hormones, for example. There are several disorders during which the sex hormones can be disturbed: hormonally active ovarian cysts or tumors, genital infections, hypogonadism etc. All these types of disorders prevent ovulation and can cause period delay. Without ovulation, periods become irregular and don’t manifest the same routines as usual, healthy menstrual periods. You would do best to follow up with your gynecologist to further explore period irregularities and pinpoint possible causes for the disruptions.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Getting Pregnant , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.