Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Hypoglycemia ! No energy , taking 1mg of synthroid !

Before I took my glucose tolerance test, I worked out every day and ate well proportioned meals that included sugar which is a bad thing. I would eat a snack before working out for an hour or little longer and would have to stop my workout before I passed out. I would get real spaced out and jittery and develop a headache and wouldn't be able to function. Anyway, I took the test and first reading of day at 9 in the morning was 78. I drank the orange stuff and tested again and it shot up to 177. It then started to go down until it was 37. I was in the office waiting for the doc thinking I am gonna pass out now. He came in and told me I was hypoglycemic and if didn't watch my diet I would become diabetic. I told him I couldn't lose any weight and he said hypoglycemia had a part in that but the sugar busters diet would allow me to lose weight. I have been on sugar busters for a week now and I still have episodes if I don't snack every hour. My blood sugar drops to 40 and lower still. I go back august 20th. I also have hypothyroidism that is somewhat treated with 1mg of synthroid. I think I need to see an endocinologist. I feel horrible every day and have no energy and I am not eating sugar..no potatoes, no corn, no pasta, no milk, no ice cream..no nothing..I only eat whole grain breads, lean meats, appropriate veggies and fruits...have not lost nothing and I eat like a dang ol bird. I am seriously depressed here as I am only 28 and feel so horrible every day. Can anyone help me who might have similar symptoms and have been treated...give me some hope please. Rolling Eyes
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2007
Community Volunteer
There is plenty of hope and you're incredibly lucky to have had a doctor who knows what you have. However, you're making the same mistake others do, you're assuming that eating right will yield quick results. It will not. You must first find an adequate level of carbohydrates for you that doesn't cause the worst of symptoms but is not exactly the best either. Then, you simply have to stick with it. It can take months to see real progress, but you should notice changes within about 4 weeks. It's annoying, but there is nothing else you can do but stick with it and wait. Keep in mind that any mistakes, like eating a piece of cake, will set you back.
|

replied July 31st, 2007
I don't even want sweets. I really don't want to eat period. My breakfast is two pieces of whole grain toast that has one gram of sugar per slice with peanut butter. Lunch is usually veggies and chicken. Dinner is often the same or something similar. snacks are apples and pb, sugar free jell-o, cheese. It's nine a.m. and already feeling horrible. I also like boiled eggs and tuna fish sandwiches with light mayo. I will keep on with the diet and hope i get better. I am going to see an endo.
|

User Profile
replied July 31st, 2007
Community Volunteer
Keep in mind that any problems dealing with thyroid and such may just be directly related to poor glucose levels. And I must ask you, are you reading labels? Peanut butter almost always has added sugar, look at it. You shouldn't be eating anything with peanuts right now anyway and no more than 2 slices of whole grain bread a day, preferably sprouted and it must say 100% whole grain on it otherwise you're not helping yourself. You should also be eating no artificial sweeteners. Based on what you said, your diet is probably not as good as it could be. One thing is it seems you're not eating frequently enough and probably not measuring out carbohydrates so you have a level supply throughout the day. You should be eating at least every two hours. You could eat a large meal followed in two hours by a cup of walnuts, or just a small meal every two hours. Only three meals a day won't work at first.
|