Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Should I Use Another Form of Bc If On the Pill ?

i was wondering if im on the pull should i use another form of contraception as well ? does anyone else use anything else while on the pill ? i dont want to use condoms thats why im on it in the first place
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 30th, 2007
It all depends on you personally.
Some trust the pill alone, I don't. Although I haven't found my perfect combo!
If you worry about pregnancy, and absolutely do not want a chance of pregnancy double up!
Condoms aren't the only double up combo!
Spermacide is a good one as well.
The cervical cap is another.
A Sponge.
There are several.
I am going to try spermacide here very soon, because it sounds the best to combine with birth control!
So, my anwser is, yes two is always better than one, but no you don't NEED to use two methods if you feel comfortable and confident in taking the pill properly, and trust it! Very Happy
|

replied July 30th, 2007
where do u get spermicide and how do u use it exactly ? and im pretty confident with the way i take it kuz i take it on time every day since i have an alarm on my phone and havent been more than 5 mins late lol even tho i just started it
|

replied July 30th, 2007
Spermacide is usually found where condoms, lubricants, and other form of sexual stuff is found in mostly all drug stores, or stores in general.
Some might be locked up in cases in some places, (that rhymed. Wow) but its rare.
You can get it in different ways, foam, a little sheet that disolves, or a solid type I believe.
The sheet is the one I'm familiar with, you have to insert it 15 minutes before sex, that's the bummer, its not very spontaneous, and is a clock watching thing, but it is effective for a back up!
If your confident with the pill alone, go for it! If ever you change your mind, you can always double up then.
Good luck!
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I don't use anything else. I am in grad school and don't want a baby now. However, I am an adult and married and if I had a baby my husband and I would be able to support it.

However, I didn't use anything else when I was younger, either. I trust birth control to do what it's meant, and I take it very very well.

Spermicide can be in like a gel cream or foam form, where you just put in it you vagina. Sometimes it is like a film that I think you insert over your cervix like. Sometimes it's a suppository (like a pill) that dissolves when you push it into your vagina. Sometimes it comes on a condom. Sometimes it comes in a sponge, and you get it wet and just push the sponge into your vagina but then it's called the sponge, lol. (Marketed under the name "today sponge" as it was off the market for a while.)

It may cause irritation to your vagina, or increase risk of yeast or urinary tract infections. You won't know until you try it.

You can get it anywhere they sell condoms, usually.
|

replied July 30th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I never used anything else when I was on the pills, but I was very careful if I missed 2 in a row or was late starting a new pack to use protection for one week. I never got pregnant.
|
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...