I am 41y/o female just recently had my third mammogram “always normal” however last year they said my breast was denser than average, and to make sure I have a mammogram every year.
My most recent mammogram was done 05 July 2007; I received a letter 19 days after my mammogram.

I might add, we are military, and currently living in Okinawa, Japan

The letter reads as follow

There is an area on your bilateral mammogram that requires further evaluation. The radiologist recommends that you return for special views of the right breast and an ultrasound examination of the right breast. Ultrasound is sometimes necessary in order to obtain a more definite diagnosis than that provided by standard imaging alone.

They said they sent the results to my doctor, but I had not heard a word back from my doctor, so I am freaking out. I tried making an appointment with my doctor, but she is completely booked up, and she is preparing to leave soon.

Therefore, I emailed her, she did respond back rather quickly, and this is what she wrote

It appears there MAY be a 5mm (you would not be able to feel it) nodule seen only on one view of the mammogram. That is why they need you back, because it they cannot confirm it on other views, it is probably a nothing. So, I would get the repeat mammogram and wait to see what if they can see it on other views, or they may do an ultrasound to help confirm it.

I am really freaking out; I do not really understand the 5mm part. Can somebody please explain what they may be talking about?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 26th, 2007
Community Volunteer
5mm is a measurement
5 millimetres or half a centimetre.

meaning they think there might be a nodule that is 5mm across, but that they can only see it on one shot of your mammogram.

They are asking you back so they can re-check.
If it showed in several shots they could cross reference, but is it is only seen on one at present, it could be an anomaly of the shot, it could be a foreign object that was picked up in that particular shot, the plate they used might have had an anomaly on it - a hundred and one possibilites.

but they have to double check because there just might be something there and they'd rather safe than sorry.
|

replied September 29th, 2007
how did everything turn out for you? i just got my result letter and it pretty much said what yours said , now i am waiting for my next appt. for more tests for special veiws. my dr.'s office is going to set it up and call me. i have low back pain and pain between my shoulder blades, i also have chronic fatique syndrome and neuropathy.i am 55 years old. please let me know how you are doing.
|

Mammogram Results
I had another screening of the right breast, after the screening the radiologist wanted to go ahead with an Ultrasound, and he said everything thing looked good, there was nothing to worry about. I was so relieved!!
Hope everything turns out good for you.
|

glad to hear every thing went well for you, hopefully the same will for me. it's the waiting that's the hard part.
|
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....