Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > First Trimester of Pregnancy Forum

Did I miscarry? Ultrasound w/no gestation sac + no cramps or

User Profile
I have recently missed my period July 13th. I took a home pregnancy test July 18th it was positive, went to the hospital because i started spotting on the 21st. they gave me a test and it was positive, but they said they really didnt have the tecnnology to help and i'd be better off going to another hospital. The 24th of july i went to another hospital, took another test and it was positive. they took my blood to test hcg it was up to 140. they did an ultrasound but didnt see nothing. the dr said i may have a miscarriage but my discharge papers said i did. I never passed any clots or had any cramps. is it normal not to see anything in an ultrasound if you arent far enough along? the dr said i might not be as far along as i would think

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 17th, 2007
First Trimester of Pregnancy Answer A3183
According to your description (positive pregnancy test and spotting in the 5th week of pregnancy) you might have experienced an early miscarriage. A possible miscarriage can be confirmed by measuring the HCG-level in the blood several times in a row (once every 2 days). Miscarriage is very likely if the HCG-level decrease after each measurement. Finally, after 2 weeks the pregnancy test should become negative. Spotting is always present in cases of miscarriage but cramps may not be present. Finally, an ultrasound can reveal the gestation sac as early as the 5th week of pregnancy ... but not always.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our First Trimester of Pregnancy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.