Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Postpartum and Postnatal Forum

How Long Does Postnatal Depression Last ?

Hey guys can someone tell me how long postnatal depression lasts ?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper codysmommy13
|

replied July 29th, 2007
I had my son 2 1/2 years ago and still am not feeling like myself. I finally got help from my doc. when my son was 18 months. He put me on an antidepressant, antianxiety med and something to help me sleep. I feel a lot better and am thinking about having another baby but am way to scared of going through that again. If your having these feelings please call your ob and let him/her know. It happens to a lot of women and it doesn't mean that your a bad mother (that's what I thought) Please get help. I really hope you feel better very soon. It's hard being a new mother. Take care.

Angel
|

replied September 8th, 2007
My Doctor put me on a low dose of lithium with all my kids, right after they were born and by a week after, I felt all right, but at first I was a basket case and crying all the time.
|

User Profile
replied September 9th, 2007
Supporter
no one can say how long it will last because everyone is different. I had my daughter almost ten weeks ago and even though i feel so much better than i did i'm still not the old me
|

replied February 5th, 2009
postpartum depression
just found out that i have this. i am terrified that it won't go away. i hate not feeling like myself. my second son is now 2 months old and things aren't better yet. i just was prescribed medicine and vitamins. i am praying that this goes away as i miss my old me.
|

User Profile
replied May 11th, 2009
Help is out there!
I know I have been there 3 times and finally I have beaten it with the power of my mind.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....