Hi

I have a swollen and painful lump on my earlobe. This has happened to both earlobes about 5 times in the past 2 years. They come and go. But always, they're very painful, swollen and red. When they become very swollen (which they always do), they rupture very easily, just when I am feeling them, releasing much thick yellow stuff with some blood at the end.
Other times they have become so painful and swollen I sqeeeze them to deflate their presence. When it comes to the end of the 'deflating', I notice some red solid stuff poking out of the rupture hole, which I can't feel if touched and if I try to pull it out with tweezers it gets cut up but stays as one piece mostly. I usually leave it and it stays in my ear.
I wash my ears properly and dry them with the cotton things.

Why does this happen?
What is the solid stuff at the end?
What are the concequences of me forcing them to drain on several occasions (I won't be trying that again though)?
I'm 17.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 28th, 2007
Re: Recurring Painful Ear Lumps
I had this, but it was once behind my ear and once on the forehead. When they got very swollen they started getting red (the one on my forehead even purple) and VERY painful.
The one on the forehead was a lipoma that got infected - it is a bump of fat, never cancerous - and was removed by plastic surgeon covered by insurance because it was on the face.
The one behind the ear was removed on the otolaryngology, and I had to go back 4 times because it was a so called inflamed sebacous cyst. This meant after draining they have to drain it every couple of days again, and finally remove the entire sac of the cyst otherwise it regrows just like in your case. I think this is what you have.
The problem with draining for yourself is that once open it becomes extremely vulnerable to infections and you can get serious trouble. Remember, POSITIVELY NO WATER! If you drained it recently, put tight bandage and just don't wash it at all until it completely heals.
I recommend the doctors however because my relief came quick and absolutely painless - they used aenesthatic injections, 2 from 2 sides in each case.
My bumps have not regrown.
|

User Profile
replied August 13th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
It usually happens due to underlying skin disorder or immunodeficiency.
These are necrotic materials.
It can lead to fistula, meningitis and sepsis.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acne and Skin Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.