Medical Questions > Mens Health > Sexual Health - Men Forum

Itchy rash with red bumps above penis after vigorous sex

Must Read
Talking openly about the penis is a very personal matter. Learn basic penis anatomy to discuss penile disorders accurately with your doctor....
Penis symptoms that interfere with sexual activity or urination could be serious. Learn the signs and symptoms of penis problems that require a doctor's help....
How do urologists evaluate and diagnose painful penis? A penis disorder is a medical problem. Learn more about possible diagnoses for penis disorders now....
User Profile
Lately, after vigorous sex with my girlfriend, I that the next dayI have an itchy rash with a few red bumps (nothing that ever breaks the skin or oozes etc.) above my penis. Nothing on my penis or scrotum area, just the area right above the base of my penis then narrowing as it goes upward. It goes away after two days or so and only appears again after sex. It is worse when she is on top during sex. We always use a condom - Lifestyle lubricated. But it seems if I had some kind of reaction to the condom or lubricant, that it would appear on my penis as well. Nothing there at all.
Could this be caused just by friction and stubble in her pubic hair region? She has very course hair and when she has not trimmed lately, it is very noticeable? When we get together we usually have sex several times that night and again early in the morning so that area gets quite a workout. She has no symptoms of any kind. Any ideas? I've been treating with 1% hydrocortisone.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion

User Profile
replied August 17th, 2007
Sexual Health - Men Answer A3168
According to your description (itching rash at the base of the penis and above in the pubic area that shows up after sex), you could be experiecning contact dermatitis caused by physical irritation (friction) from the sharp hairs of your girlfriend’s pubic region. Hydrocortisone balsam is useful in cases of contact dermatitis. For a precise diagnosis, you can follow up with a dermatologist.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Men , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.