Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

My Boyfriend Has Bipolar And Also In Constant Pyschosis

My boyfriend is the most wonderful man I could ask for and I love him dearly, but he is unable to hold down a job as he is not capable of working fulltime and when he brought up the future and us getting married, I brought up the issue of instability and that I would not like to raise children in an unstable environment. Thats putting it simply.

He tells me he lives in a state of psychosis and has to fight himself each day to get through it. No one else is aware of this as he is worried if the doctors or his family find out he will be put back in hospital and drugged to the max, and I don't want that to happen. I would hate the thought of him spending his life heavily drugged to the point he cant function and in and out of hospital. He is currently on 10mg of Cyprexa. We have been together just over 12 months and we broke up for 8 weeks because I also suffer mild depression and occasionally have down periods, and this took affect on my boyfriend. I was ignorant to bipolar and he never mentioned the psychosis at this stage and even if he did, I knew nothing of what it meant as he seemed much more stable than myself at the time so didnt worry too much. He went on a high while we broke up and we got back together at his tail end and that was difficult as it was. He tells me I "level him out".

Since we got back together, I am really noticing the bipolar and psychosis, and in the time we broke up, his medication was lowered and he had a morning tablet taken out. Not sure what that was called, but it was to help him to be "up" and the cyprexa is to help shut him down. Thats how I understand it. When he went on his high, the cyprexa was increased back to 10mg and thats all he currently has. In my opinion, it is not enough, but I don't know what to do as he doesnt exactly tell his doc everything and gives him the impression all is ok. I suggested he see a different doctor as this doctor tells my boyfriend to ignore emotional issues and that he is ok.

The situation at the moment is my boyfriend is woozy in the mornings and unable to focus or interact properly, and his body shuts down practically when the sun sets. He is good for a couple of hours a day, as in able to interact, focus, and this concerns me as we are unable to live any sort of normal life and if we expect to have a future, then we both agreed we would find it hard to imagine he would be able to help raise children, simply for the fact he would not be able to give any support on many levels and in fact, he would need to be looked after.

Does anyone have any experience and shed some light on how to get through this? Does anyone else know of anyone that claims to be in constant psychosis and its not just the "highs" and "lows", but the battle with the mind on a daily basis? I am so confused and feel so helpless. I love him and wish desperately for a future with him, but it is purely the reality of the disease that makes me wonder should I stand by him no matter what, or despite loving him so much, move on and ensure I have a semi-normal life with a man who can provide some stability and support on all levels?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 23rd, 2007
I think you need to suggest to your boyfriend that he seek the help of his doctor. I'm bipolar myself and I never heard of a constant state of psychosis, however, a person may be manic, hypomanic, or depressed for months at a time ACCOMPANIED by psychosis. This may be the case with him. As far as his medication is concerned he is taking Zyprexa, which is an antipsycotic. It works by changing the actions of chemicals in the brain.
I believe most of us who are bipolar are on both an antipsycotic and a mood stabalizer, but I suppose it can differ for each person. If the Zyprexa is not keeping psychotic symptoms at bay, your boyfriend should definitley seek the help of his doctor. A simple change in the meds maybe the answer to this as well as his other problems.
|

replied December 25th, 2009
I also am bipolar and i have found that an antipsycotic and a mood stabalizer works to keep my moods from bouncing up and down.
|

replied December 27th, 2009
From my experience with an ex Bipolar partner of 11 years (4 years diagnoised)... My only regreat is that we ignored the symptoms and not see a Dr A.S.A.P. If he is not treating the issue then it will ONLY get worse with time and added stress such as family, marriage, bills etc. Don't ignore what is happening! I too know that they hide information from the Dr, so maybe you could go along to one of his appointments and inform the Dr of your knowledge (if he agrees). It's better to be treated than untreated not only for him but for you as well. I hope it all works out for you.
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...