User Profile
We were on our way home from my having a coloniscopy and upper GI on an expressway when we were rear-ended. Neither my husband nor I knew we had gotten hit. We can't remember anything about the accident and I also can't remember anything that happened in emergency or for 2 days afterward. My family says I was awake and talking to them like I was ok. They said that I told them I really had to go to the bathroom but when they brought in the bedside potty I passed out when getting off. My mom said that the emergency doctor had already signed my release papers for me to go home until I passed out. My question is - Is this normal? Not to remember anything although everyone said I was awake and talking to them. I really cannot remember anything but waking up in the van behind my husband and patting him on the head asking if he was OK and then someone saying they were going to have to cut me out. I was in the front passengers seat - both of us had on our seat belts when we were going h

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2007
General Q and A Answer A3158
You wrote:
"List of other diseases, conditions, or injuries and their treatment: Was in a rear-end collision on June 18 and in hospital for 5 days. Have very large hematoma's on both hips and general bruising and dizziness.

Current medical status: medicine given for depression, anxiety and arthritis. extensive x-rays and other for the accident

Current medical treatment: Effexor XR - 75 mg, Wellbutrin 150mg, Volterin, and loratab."

From your description, it seems that you experienced a car accident wherein you probably suffered a brain concussion. Brain concussions are functional disorders that do not present any kinds of organic lesions in the brain. Amnesia (memory loss) is a typical symptom of a brain concussion. Amnesia can be either retrograde and anterograde.

During retrograde amnesia, you lose memory about events that had happened before the injury. The period of time that is lost from the memory can differ from a few hours to a few years.

During anterograde amnesia, you lose memory for the events that happened after the injury and consiousness alters. As consciousness re-establishes itself completely, you notice that you lose memory for the time period when your conscious was changed.

It seem that in your case, both types of amnesia happened. If there are no organic lesions in the brain present (seen on CT-scan), there is nothing to be worried about.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.