Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Are panic/anxiety attacks caused by peri-menopause ?

User Profile
I keep getting really bad anxiety, which I know is normal after what has happened(heart attack at 40!!) it was so un-expected, as I dont smoke, good diet, and used to run 2/3 times a week. My question is though, I keep getting pins and needles in my head(only lasts seconds) especially when Im resting, and a feeling of electric like blood surge around my body, the feeling of falling too...I know Im on a lot of medication,(which Ive been taking for 4/5 weeks now) but this started to happen now, which results in panic/anxiety attack..why? Am I perimenopausal maybe?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2007
Heart Disease and Heart Attack Answer A3153
According to the symptoms you report (“pins and needles in my head”, “electric like blood surge around my body”, “feeling of falling”…) you might be experiencing some type of anxiety disorder such as somatoform disorder.

One of the reasons for irregular cycles could be that you are experiencing perimenopause. During perimenopause , menstrual cycles become longer and menstruations rarer. Perimenopause can also contribute to the development of anxiety disorders including panic attacks or somatoform disorder.

It seems, however, that you are probably still too young to be experiencing peri-menopause (in your early 40's) so it seems that the current anxiety disorder has nothing with menopause. Persistence of a chronic organic disease (coronary heart disease in your case) can also contribute to the development of anxiety disorder. For treatment alternatives, you can seek the opinion of your GP or a mental health professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.