Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning And Panic Attacks

I hope someone can answer my questions. I am at the end of my rope and don't know where to turn!
My husband was exposed to carbon monoxide while working in a basement with a gas powered saw for approximately 3 hours. He went to the ER where they gave him an oxygen mask (no hyperbaric chamber in our small-town hospital) and he went home after 5 1/2 hours.
Immediately, he had to stop smoking. He began having panic attacks periodically... nothing would set them off, they would just start and he had no warning they were coming. At first it was a little obvious what was causing them (running with the dog, driving across a bridge), but they have progressively gotten much worse. They are at the point now where he is afraid to drive to the store a block away, for fear he will have a panic attack. He has them VERY regularly now.
He has been to the doctor and back to the ER a total of about 4 or 5 times now. They have checked his heart, they have tested his blood, he has tried taking herbal supplements and vitamins, he has had multiple antidepressants and antianxiety medications prescribed because the first bunch he was prescribed made things worse.
I can't get him out of bed anymore.... it has been about a week since he has worked, and we could end up eventually losing our house and having to file bankruptcy if he doesn't get better to the point of being able to go back to work again!
The only thing we haven't tried is taking him to a psychiatrist, but what good can that do for panic attacks? I'm not understanding how that would help.
Does ANYONE have any suggestions of what could possibly make him better? I miss him... it is very lonely in my house, even when he is right there, just because he's not the same. I don't know how much longer I can hang on....
Please help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 7th, 2009
Only one thing will make him better
Oxygen. Needs 2 liters per minute, for 2 hours per day, lying prone, for 4 months. Nothing else will cure it. Vitamin C helps substantially, as well as the B vitamins. Other herbs, drugs and even vitamins can make it worse since the body produces CO naturally and many things can cause the body stress which results in more CO.
|

replied March 6th, 2012
Hi I was wondering if you have web links or articles regarding oxygen therapy and CO poisoning.
|

replied October 30th, 2009
The best website by far for anyone that is experiencing effects from co poisoning is http://www.carbon-monoxide-survivor.com/
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied April 2nd, 2017
Hello Lisa, I hope your found a salution for your husband and that he is doing well. My husband is having similar panick attacks recently. He had a CO intoxication in the shower two months ago. Could you please help us with any advice or what helped your husband the most? Did he tried oxygen therapy?
|

replied July 25th, 2018
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Ive experienced the same thing. My family helped start a nonprofit to help people who have survived Carbon Monoxide exposure recover. It does get better but you have to be vigilent about avoiding new exposure and taking good care of yourself. Here is our website, ncoaa.us

We are also available to talk through any questions you have. Send us an email or give us a call. Disclaimer, we are run by volunteers so it may take us just a little while to get back to you.
|
Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...