Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Health Insurance Forum

Teenager With a Big Health Insurance Question ...

I was talking with my mom today about the financial aid for my upcoming year in college, and one of the reasons she claimed that she couldn't afford any parent loans was because she has been paying nearly $30,000 a year (almost 2500 a month) on our health insurance.

Apparently we are covered by Assurant health and having been paying well over $20,000 a year for our health insurance for over a decade.

My family had no real chronic diseases, and my father recently died of alcohol abuse but I do not think it had any influence on the cost of our insurance (he only started receiving care in the past 2.5 years).

So I'm baffled as to why a family of 3, my mom, myself (college student), and my 3-years younger brother would ever need to spend $30,000 a year on health insurance. I keep suggesting that we change, but my mom says that she is afraid that she will be given a physical and they will find something wrong with her and our insurance costs will skyrocket.

Like I said, my brother and I are as fit as can be, no tobacco use in the family, and while my mom has been avoiding doctors, she seems to be in good health (56 years old) but keeps worrying that any physical that would discover a condition like high blood pressure would cost her too much. So she won't even consider switching plans.

I recently went to the eHealthinsurance.com page and got quotes for our family, and none of them even came close to the $2500 monthly marks, even Assurant Health had a $350 monthly quote with a plan that seemed quite similar to our current one.

So I'm just wondering, are we paying a ludicrous amount of money for our health insurance? Should we be switcing? And are my mother's fear of doctors and physicals warranted?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2007
Supporter
Hi
This does sound like an awfully large amount of money.Hard earned money you ,your mother and brother could be using somewhere else. I would keep looking on the internet to compare prices. Check out Blue Cross & Blue Shield, I am sure there are other companies. Mom need to break down and go get a physical while she is on insurance she has now....it is alwasy better to find out somehting when its just beginning than to wait, find out and then pay out hte yeng yang to repair hte damage....Kinda like a cavity. Make sense? I'd keep looking and compare prices! Good luck Sweetie. You are good daughter! Cool
|

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Okay, first where are you from exactly? No one's health insurance should cost that much. If you pay that much then you should just drop it and pay everything out of pocket. Most people don't have $30000 worth of medical bills in one year.

I'm not trying to be mean, but maybe your mom doesn't want to sign her name to a parent loan for your schooling. My parents didn't want to but that was okay with me. There are ways to get your own loans where you don't have to involve your parents.
|

replied July 19th, 2007
Well I know that she doesn't want to sign on for the parent loan, but her main reason was the she couldn't afford to because of health insurance costs that were breaking us down.

When she told me how much it was costing us per year I was appalled, but when I suggested that we change she got defensive saying that if they discovered anything wrong with her we would have to pay even more than we are now... and we would be denied to another other health insurance if we ever tried to switch.

Basically she thinks if we try to switch then they will find something wrong with her, even if it's minor issue, and our premium will skyrocket and we will be denied from any other insurance that we would apply to.

I'm trying to convince her to change, and I think it's the right thing to do, but I need some more support and evidence before I can persuade her.
|

User Profile
replied July 23rd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
ForcefulCJS wrote:
Well I know that she doesn't want to sign on for the parent loan, but her main reason was the she couldn't afford to because of health insurance costs that were breaking us down.

When she told me how much it was costing us per year I was appalled, but when I suggested that we change she got defensive saying that if they discovered anything wrong with her we would have to pay even more than we are now... and we would be denied to another other health insurance if we ever tried to switch.

Basically she thinks if we try to switch then they will find something wrong with her, even if it's minor issue, and our premium will skyrocket and we will be denied from any other insurance that we would apply to.

I'm trying to convince her to change, and I think it's the right thing to do, but I need some more support and evidence before I can persuade her.

Uh, goddang, for her to be paying out of pocket $2500 monthly for health insurance must mean that 1. She has a fantastic job and therefore 2. Her job is so fantastic she is compensated enough to afford her own health insurance, which means then why are you getting loans to pay for school?

Something smells fishy.
|