Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Debate Forum

Grounded For Bad Grades? (Page 1)

alot of people i know ave different views on this one so i just thought id throw it out there:



your child brings home a report card and has went form an A to a C in math...should they be grounded/punsihes for bad grades?

if so what should the consequences be?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 19th, 2007
Experienced User
Hm
I dont really think they should get in trouble... a warning at that point but thats it. They should be questioned as to why thier grades are dropping though.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
when i was younger i did get grounded for SOME bad grades.
my mom only punished me when she knew i wasn't using my full potential in class.
if i got a D in math she was okay with that because she knew I had always always always had problems in math and that if I got a D it was better than an F and that I really was trying. Still to this day I'm horrible at math and have had 3 short drawers at work because of it ( Sad ) i hate math!

but if it was something like lanaguage arts, where she knows i can get an A of course she'd ground me or take things away until I raised it and I don't blame her, it taught me to work for what I want. But she only grounded me when she knew I had more potential than that.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 19th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
HcoBrunette06 wrote:
when i was younger i did get grounded for SOME bad grades.
my mom only punished me when she knew i wasn't using my full potential in class.
if i got a D in math she was okay with that because she knew I had always always always had problems in math and that if I got a D it was better than an F and that I really was trying. Still to this day I'm horrible at math and have had 3 short drawers at work because of it ( Sad ) i hate math!

but if it was something like lanaguage arts, where she knows i can get an A of course she'd ground me or take things away until I raised it and I don't blame her, it taught me to work for what I want. But she only grounded me when she knew I had more potential than that.


i hate math too Sad i mean i was okay at it but i HATED IT

i think everyone has their strengths and weaknesses and grounding or punishing a kid for something thye are trying in but arent good at (like math) is unfair
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 19th, 2007
Experienced User
Re: Grounded For Bad Grades?
the_girlfreind wrote:
alot of people i know ave different views on this one so i just thought id throw it out there:



your child brings home a report card and has went form an A to a C in math...should they be grounded/punsihes for bad grades?

if so what should the consequences be?


haha my parents bargained with me...for As I got $5 per A i earned...for Bs $3...C's i got nothing since it was average..D's I OWED them $3 and Fs I owed the $5 and if I had ever earned a D or F in high school my rents would have more than likely grounded me yes lol..a C no..but it never was a problem for me anyway, I got A's and B's...made me some money Smile
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
i never got grounded for grades...
but i went from a public school to a private ("college prep") school in the middle of my sophomore year and i went from having all A's to having C's and D's because they were so advanced in that school...
I think if i would have stayed at the public school and my grades dropped to C's and D's then i would have been in trouble.. but i guess my case is an exception...

-btw- i love math!! took calculus my senior year Smile..
i'm a math and science girl!
i guess you could call me a nerd or geek Very Happy
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 19th, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
if your child's grades drop there is something wrong and you need to figure out what the problem is. if it's a discipline thing then grounding is a good idea until they bring their mark up. if it's something else, like drugs, bullying or depression or something like that, you, as a parent, need to get to the bottom of it by talking to them and getting them some help.

when i was in grade 12 we had just moved to the city and i didn't know anyone in my school so i skipped almost the entire semester of my calculus class. finally, they called my mom and said i was failing. i had always been good in math but you can't learn it if you don't go to any of the classes. so she grounded me and signed me up with a tutor. i went to the tutor once and learned all of my formulas and aced the exam but i only got a d. i'm lucky i was able to get into university with such a crappy mark, but i had high marks in everything else. so i guess it's a good thing she grounded me but an even better thing that i got the tutor. i should have known better when i was that age, lol.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 19th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: Grounded For Bad Grades?
worrywart001 wrote:
the_girlfreind wrote:
alot of people i know ave different views on this one so i just thought id throw it out there:



your child brings home a report card and has went form an A to a C in math...should they be grounded/punsihes for bad grades?

if so what should the consequences be?


haha my parents bargained with me...for As I got $5 per A i earned...for Bs $3...C's i got nothing since it was average..D's I OWED them $3 and Fs I owed the $5 and if I had ever earned a D or F in high school my rents would have more than likely grounded me yes lol..a C no..but it never was a problem for me anyway, I got A's and B's...made me some money Smile


thats a great way of doing that!!!!! ha ha i wish my parents did that with me.
i always had A's and few B's my whole life thorugjh elemntary and middle school
once i hit 9th grade i got mostly B's and some A's and i think 1 pr 2 C's?
and then 10th grade came...and i started filing everything... excepts french and English lanuage arts 2
those were my best classes
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
If a grade dropped that drastically in a subject, I would assume that my child had trouble with a particular part. If it's math, maybe my child does fine with adding and subtracting, but can't understand division. Would I ground her? Probably not. I would try to enroll her into a tutoring program to bring her grade up, and if that happened to cut into her free time so be it.

But I'm hoping to be involved in her academics anyway, so hopefully I'll be aware of the problems she's having before she brings the report card home.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 19th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
AyaMiyaki wrote:
If a grade dropped that drastically in a subject, I would assume that my child had trouble with a particular part. If it's math, maybe my child does fine with adding and subtracting, but can't understand division. Would I ground her? Probably not. I would try to enroll her into a tutoring program to bring her grade up, and if that happened to cut into her free time so be it.

But I'm hoping to be involved in her academics anyway, so hopefully I'll be aware of the problems she's having before she brings the report card home.


i agree
theres parts of math i like and then theres things i hate and cant get no matter how hard i try!

AyaMiyaki i think that if more parents were actually INVOLVED in a childs eduaction and they knew what was going on then maybe they could help and understand more
i know my parents used to ask me "how was school?" and id say "good"
and that was that

i think parents are the best teachers in the world :]
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 19th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
to me it really all depends on *why* the grade dropped (assuming it did.)

If is due to after school activities, i.e., sports, clubs, job... then i'd make them quit. Its not important enough to play football or get a paycheck to miss out on a proper education.

If they started out getting bad grades in a certain subject, and i *knew* they were doing everything they could to study, then i'd attribute it to the fact that they just might not be great at said subject. I'd then hire a tutor.

Grounding is unnessesary under most circumstances. I was grounded for *everything* i did when i was younger. It solves nothing.

If the child is intentionally not studying because they are too busy screwing off out with their friends or watching tv then its time for the parents to intervene and take control. Its time to say *no*.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 19th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
If I grounded for bad grades, it would be so the child would stay home with me and instead of watch TV, we'd go over the homework together. I'm always going to ask to see every test and paper they get back and check up on all grades they get back from their teachers. That way you can nip a problem in the bud before it becomes a failing grade.

On a similar note, I was always a good ace student in school. My junior year of highschool I got my first failing grade on a quiz/test EVER. I actually cried in class about it!! At seventeen years old almost!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 19th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I think, as parents, we shouldn't make decisions on parenting when we have yet to experience certain events.

Like, how can you say you'll never ground your kid for grades if your child is only 1? You can't because you don't really know.

I'll tell you this, when your smart alec 14 year old looks right in your face and say, "Because. Hmph." Then turns around and stomps out of the room - do not tell me what you know you'll do today. What you know today is far different from what you'll know on that day, trust me. Been there, done that.

Worry about the stage your child is right now. The rest will come later.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 19th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Ingi wrote:
I think, as parents, we shouldn't make decisions on parenting when we have yet to experience certain events.

Like, how can you say you'll never ground your kid for grades if your child is only 1? You can't because you don't really know.

I'll tell you this, when your smart alec 14 year old looks right in your face and say, "Because. Hmph." Then turns around and stomps out of the room - do not tell me what you know you'll do today. What you know today is far different from what you'll know on that day, trust me. Been there, done that.

Worry about the stage your child is right now. The rest will come later.


Very Happy Very Happy Wink
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2007
Experienced User
I dont ever remember being grounded for bad grades just for other things that I did wrong. I feel that anything below a C, are bad grades. I do remember that if I got bad grades such as a D or an F, my parents used to ask me what went wrong. My parents helped me with my school work. They would check over my work. When it comes time for when my daughter is in school....I'll prolly be the same way towards her. I might take away her free social time to hang out with friends or watch tv. Just until her grades are better. I would try my best to help her out. The only time that I would be more strict is if she isnt tryin to do her best and she is just goofing off all the time and not caring.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2007
Supporter
Hi
Ok, Coming from an older generation.....I was grounded and punished for bad grades in high school.....It wasn't until I went back to school at 32 years old that I actually appreciated learning. I was the oldest "student " in my classes,but I was on the presidents/deans list for 2 years....I aced Chemistry and Microbiology, math always sucked too...When a childs grades start to drop, its somehting that is going on in that child life. As a parent, its up to us to find out what that is. I checked homework every night and went over test papers as well. My daughter knew if she needed extra help all she had to do was ask. Don't wait until you are so far behind you never catch up...like I did... You miss one proof or therum and its curtains for you.....I did take away priveledges like the phone, TV, Going to the mall, movies, spend the night at a friends, whatever it took, until my daughter could prove to me her grades were back to passing. As long as she applied herself and did her very best, it was all I asked. My parents were both Doctors of education and their punishment to me for bad grades was a belt. So, I vowed I'd never punish my child as I had been for bad grades. The priveledge system seems to have worked form my daughter. She graduated with a scholarship!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 19th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Yeah taking away priveleges worked for me too. It doesn't work on every child... my brother for example had to be bribed, lol. "Get a good grade and you'll get a video game!"
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2007
Supporter
Personally i don't think it's fair at all because after all you can only do your best and if a low grade is all you're capeable of then the parents should be happy that you are trying your very best. One thing that really bugs me is when parents pay their children when they get good grades, i'm waiting for my GCSE results next month and i know of some people in my year who are getting £100 ($200) for every a grage and one girl is even gettign £1000 ($2000) for every a grade she gets. I'm perfectly happy just knwoing that i did my best and my parents are proud of me for finishing school and doing all or my exams so close to Mika being born
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 21st, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Dannzibelle wrote:
Personally i don't think it's fair at all because after all you can only do your best and if a low grade is all you're capeable of then the parents should be happy that you are trying your very best. One thing that really bugs me is when parents pay their children when they get good grades, i'm waiting for my GCSE results next month and i know of some people in my year who are getting £100 ($200) for every a grage and one girl is even gettign £1000 ($2000) for every a grade she gets. I'm perfectly happy just knwoing that i did my best and my parents are proud of me for finishing school and doing all or my exams so close to Mika being born


Yeah, I don't agree with bribing, I think it's wrong and should be avoided if at all possible.

Of course there is sometimes a child who just isn't good at a particular subject. But if the child's parents have been paying attention to him, they're going to know that, so it won't be an issue. With my brother, an occasional C grade was okay. With me, my parents knew I could do better than that, so a C for me was unacceptable.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 22nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
That's exactly how I feel. If you know that your child can do better then it becomes an issue, like if i had gotten a "c" in school I would have gotten my butt beat. But if say I had been a "c" student all along, there wouldn't have been a fuss.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
12
Quick Reply
Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....