Medical Questions > Debate Forums > General Debate Forum

Because We Don't Have a Religious Debate Forum But We're... (Page 4)


July 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Oh I do approve of uniforms and I wish my schools had them when I was a kid. I did once have to wear a uniform for PE and I thought it was the coolest thing ever!

Some schools with uniforms allow a little jewelry, hair pins, etc... I think a little bit of that is permissible.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2007
Supporter
Hi
I believe when a rule is made, those people should follow that rule. If we bend the rule for one, then it will be something else and on and on until that rule is what? The rule is NO JEWELRY. Simple and a fact... Take off your beanies, your jewerly and go to school and learn. You are not there to be a fashion statement, you aren't there to tell eveyone you are christian and saving yourself or are jewish and need to be reminded that God is above you... you aren't there to show off to who has what.......you are there to learn. Not to compete with others. In todays school, I believe uniforms should be in every school. This keeps everyone at an even kiln...For those kids that can not afford the luxury of name brand items, it alleviates the embarrassment and wishful thinking. And for those who do have it and like to flaunt it, it keeps this from happening. No jewelry means just that.........no bargaining............
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Birch wrote:
Eiri wrote:
Birch wrote:
Eiri wrote:

I don't think little things should be illegal. A ring, a necklace, if it is a small, unobtrusive religious symbol, I think anyone should be able to represent their religion.


Represent your religion by your actions, not your accoutrements. And school is not the place to represent your religion.


Why? I agree with actions as well as accoutrements.

Quote:

Eiri wrote:
I obviously don't think one religion should be "over" another. If another girl wanted to wear a star of david she should be allowed to. Etc for every religion. Small and unobtrusive. Obviously, discretion must be taken in these things so that obnoxiously huge diamond covered crosses aren't worn (classic bling).


Ah. I was hoping this would come up. What is the demographic of individuals who wear "obnoxiously huge diamond covered crosses" as "classic bling"? Can you see some discrimination creeping in?


The "demographic" is often rich kids. Of ANY color. Yes, I'm discriminating against them because they're the obnoxious, spoiled mean ones.

Quote:

Eiri wrote:
I believe too much regulation is actually worse than no regulation, as even in a group of unlawed people, rules will appear and order will happen. Too much regulation leads to loss of freedom.


While I agree in general, schools are different. They make their own rules in the best interests of the kids (it's not like they are out to get them) and giving special rights based solely on religious reasons is misplaced in a school environment.


I swear, some schools are out to "get them" lol. Some schools have rules that just don't make any sense, and I believe a total ban on jewelry is one of those rules. I don't even wear that much jewelry, and I'm defending this! My thing in middleschool was vests. I gag now at the thought XD

Quote:

I am all for uniforms and strict rules about what kids wear to school. For one thing, it forces kids to be creative and stand out in other ways than what they have on. Use your brain, not your wallet (or your parent's wallet!)


Unfortunately, the cattiness happens anyway... Better hair cuts, nicer socks, etc... I don't know if uniforms actually achieve the dissolving of cliques as they are meant to do. Can anyone add to that?


If you need material things to represent your values for you, then you are not representing your values very well.

Uniforms do not dissolve cliques nor cattiness. They are meant to eliminate distractions.

I went to a school where we did not wear uniforms, and I taught somewhere that required uniforms, even of the staff. I found it much easier to get ready in the morning having known what I was going to wear. I found not caring about my choice of clothing to be freeing. This was an intense arts camp, I might add. The students were quite happy to wear uniforms. They told me they were glad they didn't have to worry about what they were going to wear.

It was also easier to determine (for safety and security reasons) if someone was not supposed to be there.

It added to a sense of unity. We all had to wear the crappy uniforms, so we all had to suck it up and deal.

The focus was on the individual; not what the individual was wearing.

In inner city schools, uniforms are a necessity to eliminate gang affliation and potential violence.

I would take uniforms any day.


I totally understand and agree with what you're saying.. I remember when I was in school the 'cool' girls would hike up there skirts.. Which didn't eliminate distractions. However then they had the rule that your figertips had to touch the bottom of the skirt. I really do think its much better to have them. Perhaps in the uniform kit everyone should have the option to buy a cheap necklace with a cross and a little ring that can resemble different things. Perhaps they should just regulate that too like the uniforms. Wink maybe some pant or shorts uniforms would be a good idea.. I know around here guys have problems with the catholic school girl look.. Short plaid skirt etc.. So, not only would it take away visual distractions.. I know I haven't really stayed on topic. All I know is that UNLIKE mine Birtch makes alot of great points
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 18th, 2007
Experienced User
Ok, im not rich im normal middle class, and my mom was going to give me her lexus SUV, because i was getting my lisence, and she needed to get a new car.... Then the car started to have some problems and my dad got me a mercury..... So just because i was going to drive a lexus means i have money and im trying to show off???

I disagree that all people who drive nice cars are rich... Maybe thats where people might put most of their money... You cant say whos rich....

And i to agree with dress code, but jewlery, and bags, shoes, hair cuts, make up, getting your nails done everything, you cant banned it all. So their will always be cliques.....
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Rachel-Isabel wrote:
Ok, im not rich im normal middle class, and my mom was going to give me her lexus SUV, because i was getting my lisence, and she needed to get a new car.... Then the car started to have some problems and my dad got me a mercury..... So just because i was going to drive a lexus means i have money and im trying to show off???

I disagree that all people who drive nice cars are rich... Maybe thats where people might put most of their money... You cant say whos rich....

And i to agree with dress code, but jewlery, and bags, shoes, hair cuts, make up, getting your nails done everything, you cant banned it all. So their will always be cliques.....


you are so right just because you drive an expensive car, does not mean you are rich. I could drive any kind of car I wanted to because I have good credit.. That does not make me rich! It only means I have credit and enough money to pay the payments every month.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Rachel-Isabel wrote:
And even though at my school we have a dress code, and if we all did wear the same stuff, peole would still come in with the designer bags, or the niice cars or something show that they are above you...


Rachel-Isabel wrote:
Ok, im not rich im normal middle class, and my mom was going to give me her lexus SUV, because i was getting my lisence, and she needed to get a new car.... Then the car started to have some problems and my dad got me a mercury..... So just because i was going to drive a lexus means i have money and im trying to show off???

I disagree that all people who drive nice cars are rich... Maybe thats where people might put most of their money... You cant say whos rich....


So which is it? Other kids drive expensive cars to show they are "above you, but if you did it's different? Wink

Just teasin'. I saw some inconsistantcy and I'm in a befuddled mood.

Middle class to many people means "rich". It's all a matter of perspective.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 19th, 2007
Experienced User
I guess im trying to say that yeah some people drive cars to show that they are above you and some drive them because thats what is available... At my school, people assume if you drive a nice car you are rich, which isnt true. Then there are some people at my school who go out of their way to make their cars so nice so they can get attension....

I guess im trying to say is,
Yeah i am for school uniforms, but people will always find a way to show off... So if they make the girl take of her ring, then i hope the reinforce it so everyone is treated equal....
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: article, sex
Quick Reply