Medical Questions > Debate Forums > General Debate Forum

Because We Don't Have a Religious Debate Forum But We're... (Page 2)


July 17th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
i dunno
all i know is that i was offered a job a year ago
to answer calls and file paperwork for a company
and they told me i couldnt have a nose ring so i said "screw yall" and left
same thing with school
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 18th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
It is my opinion that a school should have a uniform so that the kids all look the same and therefore this removes the 'I'm wearing more trendy labels than you' crap. All jewellery should be banned. All signs of religion should be banned. If someone is that religious then they should attend a faith school.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
the_girlfreind wrote:
Eiri wrote:
the_girlfreind wrote:
still
so what if you dont or do have bling

most kids in school dont get made fun of by what kind of bling they wear? or if they have any "bling"

they get picked on for being "overweight" or "buck teeth" or "big forehead"
stuff like that
ive never herd of a kid being out casted because they have a purity ring on??


You don't get it...

It is the ones with the "bling" who are the bullies, and the jewelry puts them visually in a caste above those who don't have any. It's saying "I'm better than you!" and in the cruel way that children do.



so because i wear a chanel necklace and earings im a bully ?!?!?


You clearly didn't go to a public school... Or didn't pay attention to the "little people" when you were there. It's easy to miss them. No one pays attention except to make fun of them. They aren't spectacular looking, they just try to stay under the radar so bullies leave them alone.

You're also completely misinterpreting what I am saying. There are bullies in the work place too.

Not every girl who wears jewelry is a bully, and I never said or implied that. I personally do wear necklaces (not "chanel") and rings, but it's all sterling silver if that makes a difference. I personally don't wear jewelry just to show off my wealth and I don't buy expensive jewelry, mostly because I'd probably break it.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Jules wrote:
It is my opinion that a school should have a uniform so that the kids all look the same and therefore this removes the 'I'm wearing more trendy labels than you' crap. All jewellery should be banned. All signs of religion should be banned. If someone is that religious then they should attend a faith school.


I disagree that removing all symbols of what makes us diverse is right. I think it is the worst thing you can do; make us all homogenous zombies...
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Jules wrote:
It is my opinion that a school should have a uniform so that the kids all look the same and therefore this removes the 'I'm wearing more trendy labels than you' crap. All jewellery should be banned. All signs of religion should be banned. If someone is that religious then they should attend a faith school.


hmmm
well then everyone will just find domething else to pick on the kids by. no one picks on people for what they wear?!!?

and eiri i DID go to a public school....westview middle school and conally high school
and never once in my life have i ever herd of any kid being picked on for not wearing this or that. i think that whole thing si done with... i wear jewlrey because i like it...what the heck is wrong with that?!?!?
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
the_girlfreind wrote:
i dunno
all i know is that i was offered a job a year ago
to answer calls and file paperwork for a company
and they told me i couldnt have a nose ring so i said "screw yall" and left
same thing with school


If it was a good job in my field, I wouldn't have worn any "uncouth" or "unusual" jewelry. I would stick with what is accepted: two earrings. No facial piercings. Preferably take out the tongue ring too if you have one. If you have tattoos and you can cover them with conventional clothing then do it. Don't wear "revealing" clothing. Don't use slang words, like "ain't". Keep down the "likes" (You know, "Oh, I was like, imagining this thing, so I could like, go there, and like...")

If you can't get over the juvenile desire to be "different" and "edgy", then you're probably not ready for a serious job. Or maybe, traditional jobs aren't for you. Some artists and musicians can get away with punk culture things like piercings and tattoos. Often, you're not allowed to wear such metal because it can be a work hazard. Don't get me wrong; I love facial piercings and I'm considering one in my bottom lip. But I would remove it for an interview, especially if it was one I really really wanted.

You can still "express" yourself without being a punk. I have a sense of style in my jewelry and clothing that shows through even in my "adult" clothing.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
wow, "chanel" Laughing must be nice to be you
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
the_girlfreind wrote:
Jules wrote:
It is my opinion that a school should have a uniform so that the kids all look the same and therefore this removes the 'I'm wearing more trendy labels than you' crap. All jewellery should be banned. All signs of religion should be banned. If someone is that religious then they should attend a faith school.


hmmm
well then everyone will just find domething else to pick on the kids by. no one picks on people for what they wear?!!?

and eiri i DID go to a public school....westview middle school and conally high school
and never once in my life have i ever herd of any kid being picked on for not wearing this or that. i think that whole thing si done with... i wear jewlrey because i like it...what the heck is wrong with that?!?!?


You still don't understand... These kids aren't teased because they don't wear jewelry... However, jewelry is a visual cue as to a student's "status" in the popularity contest that is Highschool. It makes those girls "different" from those without jewelry. Just like carrying a Prada bag makes you different than someone carrying a denim one; they clearly don't have as much money as you do; and many people take these visual cues as a chance to "look down" on those who are "without".
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Yes well, for someone who claims they're not shallow, you sure like to throw name brands around. You're a living example of what Eiri is talking about, as far as people being stuck on status symbols.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
AyaMiyaki wrote:
Yes well, for someone who claims they're not shallow, you sure like to throw name brands around. You're a living example of what Eiri is talking about, as far as people being stuck on status symbols.



aaah i love you laura, i completely agree.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
well it makes me sad that society has gotten like this
i feel bad because i have stuff that i like...so if i carry around my louis vuitton then im automatically judged to be one of those snobby brats that thinks there better than everyone else

?

i dunno
but...i dont think my nose piercing makes me a punk lol

im far from punk
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
the_girlfreind wrote:
well it makes me sad that society has gotten like this
i feel bad because i have stuff that i like...so if i carry around my louis vuitton then im automatically judged to be one of those snobby brats that thinks there better than everyone else

?

i dunno
but...i dont think my nose piercing makes me a punk lol

im far from punk


Well you are being judged as a snobby brat who "thinks" she's being edgy by having her nose pierced.

All societies read each other by visual cues.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 18th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Eiri wrote:
Jules wrote:
It is my opinion that a school should have a uniform so that the kids all look the same and therefore this removes the 'I'm wearing more trendy labels than you' crap. All jewellery should be banned. All signs of religion should be banned. If someone is that religious then they should attend a faith school.


I disagree that removing all symbols of what makes us diverse is right. I think it is the worst thing you can do; make us all homogenous zombies...


Ok I was being a bit facetious there, sorry. Smile

I do, however, think that schools should have enforced uniforms. Most schools in the UK have uniforms, although I think the tide is turning, and I think it creates a sense of belonging as well as removing the 'labels' war. Of course kids will still get bullied. I got bullied because I went to a public school(what you call 'private' schools?) and I didn't speak with a posh enough accent to fit in.

As for religious attire, I think as long as the face is not completely obscured with a niqab for example, then I think they should be allowed up to a point. I don't however think that a purity ring is an established religious necessity and so it was quite right that it was banned.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
the_girlfreind wrote:
Eiri wrote:
the_girlfreind wrote:
still
so what if you dont or do have bling

most kids in school dont get made fun of by what kind of bling they wear? or if they have any "bling"

they get picked on for being "overweight" or "buck teeth" or "big forehead"
stuff like that
ive never herd of a kid being out casted because they have a purity ring on??


You don't get it...

It is the ones with the "bling" who are the bullies, and the jewelry puts them visually in a caste above those who don't have any. It's saying "I'm better than you!" and in the cruel way that children do.



so because i wear a chanel necklace and earings im a bully ?!?!?


I suppose you guys are right. Girlfriend is 16 she has 'Chanel' necklace and earings which makes her probably stand out because it's chanel. I didn't know that the entire BLING BLING made kids better now a days.

(Sarcasm)Geez.. I better talk to my boyfriend, because he bought me a really nice diamond ring and I told him that I wanted a solid gold ring for an engagement ring for the sentamental value. NOT the monetary. Like just solid and has no breaks for diamonds like our love.. LOL just solid.. OH boy.. Now I am not going to fit in.. I will look stupid. Confused(sarcasm) I suppose I have always thought of rings and necklaces as sentamental things not as BLING.Well, thats how it was when I was growing up too

WOW.. I don't even wear clothing with visable lables.. Well, I can't to work anyway. We can't wear clothing that says "RALPH LAUREN OR POLO SPORT OR BUM EQUIPMENT" Just any label. which is ok with me anyway I don't really care about labels anyway.. HOWEVER with the younger generation this all seems to be a problem
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
You don't get it either. *shrug* Not much I can do to explain it beyond what I have already done. It may be a maturity thing.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Eiri wrote:
You don't get it either. *shrug* Not much I can do to explain it beyond what I have already done. It may be a maturity thing.


What do you mean I don't get it?.. Thats how I precieved it..

I was being sarcastic for most of my post.. I am not quite sure why you think that your totally right and your 'opinion' is the only one that counts. I understand that you think that 'Not every girl who wears jewelry is a bully and that you think that some people put there value on what they have' etc etc..
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I don't think it's owning the items that is necessarily bad. But bragging about owning them, buying them, having them on... I guess I just don't see why someone would do that unless they wanted to bring it to someone's attention that they have it.

Someone who puts that much stock on owning "designer" items probably doesn't feel they're on equal footing with someone who doesn't. To me, they're just items... the only thing that makes them really different is the name and the price. Material possessions have never mattered that much to me. I'm more concerned with family and friends. I guess I'm not considered 'cool' by the cool kids. Rolling Eyes
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
AyaMiyaki wrote:
I don't think it's owning the items that is necessarily bad. But bragging about owning them, buying them, having them on... I guess I just don't see why someone would do that unless they wanted to bring it to someone's attention that they have it.

Someone who puts that much stock on owning "designer" items probably doesn't feel they're on equal footing with someone who doesn't. To me, they're just items... the only thing that makes them really different is the name and the price. Material possessions have never mattered that much to me. I'm more concerned with family and friends. I guess I'm not considered 'cool' by the cool kids. Rolling Eyes


I totally agree with you!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Dale123 wrote:
Eiri wrote:
You don't get it either. *shrug* Not much I can do to explain it beyond what I have already done. It may be a maturity thing.


What do you mean I don't get it?.. Thats how I precieved it..

I was being sarcastic for most of my post.. I am not quite sure why you think that your totally right and your 'opinion' is the only one that counts. I understand that you think that 'Not every girl who wears jewelry is a bully and that you think that some people put there value on what they have' etc etc..


Your post was sarcastic and that's the point. You don't understand how these items can be harmful.

I don't assume I am always right. However, I do know a lot of "stuff" and I have a lot of experience. My opinion isn't the only one that counts; if it was, your posts would be deleted and edited.

If you understand my comment that "not every girl with bling is a bully" then what issue do you have with me? I'm very confused.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Dale123 wrote:
AyaMiyaki wrote:
I don't think it's owning the items that is necessarily bad. But bragging about owning them, buying them, having them on... I guess I just don't see why someone would do that unless they wanted to bring it to someone's attention that they have it.

Someone who puts that much stock on owning "designer" items probably doesn't feel they're on equal footing with someone who doesn't. To me, they're just items... the only thing that makes them really different is the name and the price. Material possessions have never mattered that much to me. I'm more concerned with family and friends. I guess I'm not considered 'cool' by the cool kids. Rolling Eyes


I totally agree with you!


As do I Smile
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: article, sex
Quick Reply