Medical Questions > Debate Forums > General Debate Forum

Because We Don't Have a Religious Debate Forum But We're... (Page 1)

User Profile
chomping at the bit...

I found this interesting (to me) article today. Thought I'd share.

wrote:
LONDON - A teenager whose teachers had stopped her wearing a “purity ring” at school to symbolize her commitment to virginity has lost a High Court fight against the ban.

Lydia Playfoot, 16, says her silver ring is an expression of her faith and had argued in court that it should be exempt from school regulations banning the wearing of jewelry.

“I am very disappointed by the decision this morning by the High Court not to allow me to wear my purity ring to school as an expression of my Christian faith not to have sex outside marriage,” Playfoot said in a statement Monday...

more
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
that's silly
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 17th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I think it's utterly ridiculous they wouldn't let her wear it. You can't force a jewish guy to take the hat off his head; so why force a girl to remove a tiny, nearly insignificant silver ring? Freedom of religion extends both ways; and if this ring is part of her faith she has the right to wear it, dress code or not.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I think they had every right to enforce the "no jewelry" rule to extend to this. A ring is not intregal to her religion.

And "freedom of religion" does not extend to schools. Kids in school do not have those rights, they have priviledges. They don't have freedom of speech, they don't have freedom of the press. It's different in schools.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 17th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Birch wrote:
I think they had every right to enforce the "no jewelry" rule to extend to this. A ring is not intregal to her religion.

And "freedom of religion" does not extend to schools. Kids in school do not have those rights, they have priviledges. They don't have freedom of speech, they don't have freedom of the press. It's different in schools.


It's different and I don't think it should be. Yeah, I agree with being able to check bags and lockers etc. And no swearing, teasing, etc. That's just common sense. But a jewish person's hat isn't integral, I know a lot of jewish guys who don't wear them. BUT if a guy did, you know a teacher would never make him remove it.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Eiri wrote:
Birch wrote:
I think they had every right to enforce the "no jewelry" rule to extend to this. A ring is not intregal to her religion.

And "freedom of religion" does not extend to schools. Kids in school do not have those rights, they have priviledges. They don't have freedom of speech, they don't have freedom of the press. It's different in schools.


It's different and I don't think it should be. Yeah, I agree with being able to check bags and lockers etc. And no swearing, teasing, etc. That's just common sense. But a jewish person's hat isn't integral, I know a lot of jewish guys who don't wear them. BUT if a guy did, you know a teacher would never make him remove it.


Yes, I agree; kids have no rights and I think that's ridiculous.

But then again...having taught in school, I think there is good reason for many of the restrictions in place. Plus, if the rule is "no jewelry" then that's the rule. If she needs a chastity ring to remind her of her values...well, geesh. What can I say?

(A yarmulke is actually integral to Orthodox Jewish people. I think it is supposed to remind them that "there is someone above them" and keep them humble. I think.)
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 17th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
ahh i remember high school dress code... what are they seriously going to do if you dont take it off? and why is a wring being banned? why is jewlry being banned at all? i think thats the dumbest thing ever
i can understand banning short shorts and skirts and halter tops
but jewlry? come on now?!?!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Jewelry = status. Think 'bling bling' etc.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 17th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
still
so what if you dont or do have bling

most kids in school dont get made fun of by what kind of bling they wear? or if they have any "bling"

they get picked on for being "overweight" or "buck teeth" or "big forehead"
stuff like that
ive never herd of a kid being out casted because they have a purity ring on??
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Oh yeah I totally think that she should be able to wear it. OR since the kids can't seem to be able to make choices (which they could) I think that maybe they should get written permission from there parents. IF it's considered BLING BLING then the parents are responsible. I don't know. Personally, I think that things are going way to far. It actually kinda scares me.. WHAT NEXT? + it is a part of her religion. You're right about the jewish child MOST kids cant wear a hat in school (out of respect), but Jewish people can wear something on there heads. I just think school should be school. Kids are just there to learn. I remember when I was younger I wore a hat to school, because my hair looked really bad. The teacher made me take it off. I was so upset and embarrassed. I just wanted to leave. Which really hurt my self esteem. So, it's never really a win win situation. You know I think that kids should be able to wear hats jewlery etc in school. It's such a petty thing. I HAVE NEVER heard of someone being beat up and having there virginity ring stolen.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I am not sure where you attended school, but when I was teaching at an inner city high school the bling bling was a major factor in determining status. I am sure it is different in different schools. I see nothing wrong with adopting an all encompassing "no jewelry" rule to make it easier.

I don't think the issue is that she would be an outcast for her ring; but more so that jewelry wearing is forbidden regardless of reason and she was breaking the rule.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 17th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
the_girlfreind wrote:
still
so what if you dont or do have bling

most kids in school dont get made fun of by what kind of bling they wear? or if they have any "bling"

they get picked on for being "overweight" or "buck teeth" or "big forehead"
stuff like that
ive never herd of a kid being out casted because they have a purity ring on??


You don't get it...

It is the ones with the "bling" who are the bullies, and the jewelry puts them visually in a caste above those who don't have any. It's saying "I'm better than you!" and in the cruel way that children do.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Dale123 wrote:
Oh yeah I totally think that she should be able to wear it. OR since the kids can't seem to be able to make choices (which they could) I think that maybe they should get written permission from there parents. IF it's considered BLING BLING then the parents are responsible. I don't know. Personally, I think that things are going way to far. It actually kinda scares me.. WHAT NEXT?


You believe that she should be allowed to break the rule only because of the religious nature of her ring?

Suddenly, the Establishment clause of the Constitution comes into play.

Wait a minute, this was London. Nevermind.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 17th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Birch wrote:
You believe that she should be allowed to break the rule only because of the religious nature of her ring?


As long as that ring is not harming anyone, then yes. It is her *personal* right.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Birch wrote:
I think they had every right to enforce the "no jewelry" rule to extend to this. A ring is not intregal to her religion.

And "freedom of religion" does not extend to schools. Kids in school do not have those rights, they have priviledges. They don't have freedom of speech, they don't have freedom of the press. It's different in schools.


I agree. Take the effing ring off for a few hours and quit crying.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 17th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
The whole point of the ring is to show off to classmates that you are abstinent and proud of it...
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Eiri wrote:
The whole point of the ring is to show off to classmates that you are abstinent and proud of it...


That's great, but teenagers are more about image. If she didn't care so much about her image, like teenagers usually do, she wouldn't need to show off her ring. That's why they throw such a fit when they can't wear what they want. But school is not a fashion show or a social place.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 17th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Jude-Love wrote:
Eiri wrote:
The whole point of the ring is to show off to classmates that you are abstinent and proud of it...


That's great, but teenagers are more about image. If she didn't care so much about her image, like teenagers usually do, she wouldn't need to show off her ring. That's why they throw such a fit when they can't wear what they want. But school is not a fashion show or a social place.


I'm trying to say that the ring IS part of the girl's "image": a pious, abstinent Christian.

And I heavily disagree. School is the social place.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 17th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Eiri wrote:
the_girlfreind wrote:
still
so what if you dont or do have bling

most kids in school dont get made fun of by what kind of bling they wear? or if they have any "bling"

they get picked on for being "overweight" or "buck teeth" or "big forehead"
stuff like that
ive never herd of a kid being out casted because they have a purity ring on??


You don't get it...

It is the ones with the "bling" who are the bullies, and the jewelry puts them visually in a caste above those who don't have any. It's saying "I'm better than you!" and in the cruel way that children do.



so because i wear a chanel necklace and earings im a bully ?!?!?
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Eiri wrote:
Jude-Love wrote:
Eiri wrote:
The whole point of the ring is to show off to classmates that you are abstinent and proud of it...


That's great, but teenagers are more about image. If she didn't care so much about her image, like teenagers usually do, she wouldn't need to show off her ring. That's why they throw such a fit when they can't wear what they want. But school is not a fashion show or a social place.


I'm trying to say that the ring IS part of the girl's "image": a pious, abstinent Christian.

And I heavily disagree. School is the social place.


I totally agree! School is where alot of teens develop there interpersonal skills by talking with others hanging out.. I just know that I have a ring that my mom got me when I was 10 and I don't think I have ever taken it off. Well only to clean it. BUT I am not a bullly or looking to show off its just a simple little thing that makes me think of her. I just don't see the big deal. Sure people can sterio type the group with the bling bling etc. BUT in my school when I attended in Calgary it was terrible it was like different ethnic groups together in gangs and they had different names and labels. Etc. I never got involved with that but really they can't seperate all of those groups. Also they have the people that are chubby the people who are hot and popular ..the jocks etc. SO, just because the BLING BLING people can remove there items. I don't think it really should be any different.. I don't know If this is even going anywhere i had a point.. BUT lost it.. Embarassed I suppose What I mean is if you wear a ring it doesn't make a difference if you do or not. Why should it?
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: article, sex
Quick Reply