Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Did my hymen break ? No sexual intercourse , only fingering

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I am 19 and have not had sexual intercourse. The other night the guy I was with fingered me. This was not the first time this had happend to me but the person I was with before was much more gentle and this time he did it so hard that I bled. Not just a few spots either, but a good amount. It has been three days and I am still spoting a bit. I thought maybe I was starting my period, because it is irregular so I don't know exactly when to expect it, but it is very light spoting and normally my peroid is heavier. Is this normal? Was this my hymen breaking? Will I bleed next time I engage in this? Will I bleed when I have sexual intercourse for the first time or does this only happen once?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2007
Sexual Health - Women Answer A3141
You might have injured your your hymen during the last episode of fingering. Blood and beeding from a broken hymen usually stops very soon after it is punctured (usually during the first act of sexual intercourse) but sometimes the bleeding might last longer. If your hymen has broken when he fingered you, you probably won’t bleed during the next sexual encounter you have. Bleeding happens only once (during the first time). Nonetheless, you can visit your gynecologist to identify the true source of the bleeding.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Women , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.