better option?
kids first, education career later
education career first, kids later
12%  12%  [ 1 ]
87%  87%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 8
User Profile
Which do you think is better and why?

Having children young ( 18-28 ), and focusing on your education and career later once your kids are all in school etc.

OR

Focusing on your education and career when you're young, and having kids at an older age. (29-30s+)

Whats your opinion/thoughts?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 17th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
You didn't put all at the same time? I got married in October 2005, graduated from college in December 2005, found out I was pregnant in February 2006.
|

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
I agree, add one with all at the same time.

I graduated high school May 2006 found out I was pregnant June 2006 started college august 2006. I then had my baby in Feb 2007 and here I am still trucking through college, work and being a young mommy.
|

replied July 18th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I think it's all a matter of opinion and what you can handle. I had a daughter when I was 18. For better or worse, I grew up with her. We had a lot of fun, but it was a huge struggle financially. I unfortunately had to spend a lot of time away with work and when I went back to college. I missed a lot of firsts. I have huge regrets about it.
I have a 4 month old and I'm 35. I really think I appreciate him more than I appreciated my daughter. I loved her with all I had and I certainly still do, but I'm in a completely different place now. I am able to be home at night to put him to bed and in the mornings when he gets up. (yikes, he's in daycare during the day though Rolling Eyes ) Yes, I'll be in my 50's when he comes of age. I won't say he'll have a better life, because I can't really say that, but he'll have what he needs and more, where she always had what she needed, but not a lot extra.
I probably worded that all wrong. What I'm trying to say, is having been in both places, I think it's easier now.

I have to also say that once you have kids, it's really hard to go back to school to get your degree. It is possible and many people do it, but it's hard to find the time to do your studies and still balance all the needs of the children who obviously need to come first
|

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2007
Experienced User
I agree...you should add one that says all at the same time.

I'll be starting my fourth year in college. I had my daughter on March 15, 2007 and I was able to finish out my spring semester. I'm a full time student and a proud young mommy.
|

replied July 19th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
well i think all at the same time would be my pick

i "left" highschool in january way before i found out i was pregnant
im continuing my high school education through homeschooling. and by the time th baby is born i will be finishing my senior year. even though id only be a junior in public school. i can work at my own pace and earn as many credits as i want in howvere long i want so its great because i can stay home and finish school that way.
ill also still be working so hopefully i can do school,work and stay home with the baby all at the same time
however if it becomes too much ill have to postpone the working part for a while.

after i turn 18 and by then the baby will be a year old, ill go to community college or trade school and take some classes for vet tech.
just a few nights a week or so
and my mom will be abe to watch the baby for me since she has her own daycare at home.

so hopeufully i can get all that done and finished all at the same time?
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2007
Supporter
I'm just going to say what i'm doing, my baby wasn't planned so i had a different idea of what i was going to be doing but hey life wasn't meant to be easy. I found out i was pregnant late october 2006 about a month after i'd started my last year at school, i worked through that year and did all of my final exams. I know have my daughter and i'll be going to college in september 2008 and she'll be staying in the college nursery. it's importnant to me to go to college so that i can qualify, get the job i want and be able to help support my family instead of relying on Dom and the goverenment because it's my job too
|

replied July 22nd, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
i would have loved to have gotten my education completely done before having this baby but oops!! oh well. lol. i wouldn't change it for the world and i think we will be okay. my child will always be my top priority but part of that is making sure i am a good provider which is why i chose to educate myself in the first place. my mom did it with 5 kids and we survived. i think having seen her do it has made it more important for me to do also. i think people should just do what they think is right for them.
|
Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....