Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Blood Disorders Forum

Can small blood vessel cause a coma ? Atherosclerotic plaque

User Profile
why is my blood vessel on my left side of the neck getting smaller and what really happen to cause me to get into coma???? i do have tingling on the left side of my neck but i do not know if and when i get into a coma???? it just happens.....

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2007
Blood Disorders Answer A3135
You wrote:

"List of other diseases, conditions, or injuries and their treatment: rhumatoid arthritis, hip replacements on both sides numerous of times, right shoulder replacement, cleft palate, deaf on left ear and wear hearing aid on right ear, can not walk therefore using power chair 110% of the time, thyroid problems, cholesterol problem, acid reflux, depressions, nerves, unable to handle stress at times....

Current medical status: about 2 months ago, i went into a coma for 5 days and on fifth day, i woke up as if nothing has happen.. no ivs, no monitor,,,nothing....they did catscan&mri and said that my head is getting older????? the ultrasound showed that my blood vessel on the left side of my neck is getting smaller??? i have no other informations and they just let me go home from the hospital that day......they think its stress.... i do have heart murmur....i am not getting any straight answ..ers

Current medical treatment: no medications or any instructions on what to do......"

It seems unlikely that a physician would write “head is getting older” in an MRI or CT scan report. Next time, simply report the result exactly as it was written. You also didn’t explain that state of “coma” very well. Coma that is due to stress and anxiety is not a real coma.

Blood vessels on the neck can become narrowed due to atherosclerosis. The walls of an artery are damaged because of the cholesterol precipitation. Atherosclerotic plaques form in the artery’s wall and they are places susceptible for developing thrombi. A thrombus created on such plaque can separate from the plague and tcan reach the brain causing temporary ischemia (thromboembolia) through the blood flow . Such ischemias are usually temporary because there are blood mechanisms that the body triggers that dissolve the thrombus (fibrinolisis).

The symptoms of an ischemia are the same as in blood insult, but last only temporarily. After dissolving the thrombus ,the blood flow is established again and the symptoms disappear. Your state of “coma” could be due to such a transitory ischemic attack. You can request a carotid arteriography to reveal the atherosclerotic plaques or to check to see if there are any.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Have you just been diagnosed with anemia? Learn how doctors define anemia...plus more information on what causes anemia and who is at risk of developing anemia....
Anemia is caused by a range of diseases and conditions. Learn which factors contribute to anemia and how you can avoid some of the risk factors of anemia here....
Anemia can make you feel tired. But what other some other signs of anemia? Click here for more on anemia complications and when you should seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Blood Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.