Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

Lonesome45.. Canada Abortions Are Free..

Here are abortion clinics in canada

CARAL - If you are pregnant
Alberta, Calgary - Kensington Clinic 403-283-9117
British Columbia, Vancouver - CARE Program Women's Health Centre 604-875-2022
British Columbia, Vancouver - Elizabeth Bagshaw Clinic 604-736-7878
British Columbia, Vancouver - Everywoman's Health Centre 604-322-6692
British Columbia, Vancouver - Wiebe Medical Abortion Clinic 604-873-8303
Manitoba, Winnipeg - Morgentaler Clinic 204-477-1887
Newfoundland, St. John's - Morgentaler Clinic 709-754-3572
Ontario, Ottawa - Morgentaler Clinic 613-567-3360
Ontario, Toronto - Morgentaler Clinic 416-932-0446
Quebec, Montreal - Morgentaler Clinic 514-351-0291

Here is the website of Morgentaler clinics. Lots of info
http://www.morgentaler.ca/

Here is another clinic you can look at
http://womenscareclinic.ca/

If you look at the clinics, they explain about what the healthcare covers...

Abortion is covered in canada, you also have the option of using a hospital too!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 16th, 2007
Re: Lonesome45.. Canada Abortions Are Free..
Carifairy wrote:
Here are abortion clinics in canada

CARAL - If you are pregnant
Alberta, Calgary - Kensington Clinic 403-283-9117
British Columbia, Vancouver - CARE Program Women's Health Centre 604-875-2022
British Columbia, Vancouver - Elizabeth Bagshaw Clinic 604-736-7878
British Columbia, Vancouver - Everywoman's Health Centre 604-322-6692
British Columbia, Vancouver - Wiebe Medical Abortion Clinic 604-873-8303
Manitoba, Winnipeg - Morgentaler Clinic 204-477-1887
Newfoundland, St. John's - Morgentaler Clinic 709-754-3572
Ontario, Ottawa - Morgentaler Clinic 613-567-3360
Ontario, Toronto - Morgentaler Clinic 416-932-0446
Quebec, Montreal - Morgentaler Clinic 514-351-0291

Here is the website of Morgentaler clinics. Lots of info
http://www.morgentaler.ca/

Here is another clinic you can look at
http://womenscareclinic.ca/

If you look at the clinics, they explain about what the healthcare covers...

Abortion is covered in canada, you also have the option of using a hospital too!

omg thank you so much..i thought they cost like $400...wow
i feel so much better
i live in saskatchewan
so i just go to a hospital?
|

replied July 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
You live in .S.

I will do some looking and double check for you, OKAY?

Basically for a hospital abortion, you need to make a few phone calls, and get a 'consultation' appointment.

I will get the info ASAP for you ..Basically right now!
|

replied July 16th, 2007
Experienced User
Yeah, in most provinces (definitely Ontario and Saskatchewan) abortions are covered under our free healthcare.

I did some google searching looking for a place for you in SK but haven't found a specific place.

What I have found is that:

1) There are no private abortion clinics in SK.
2) There are only 2 hospitals in all of SK which provide abortions, but I wasn't able to find out the names of the 2 hospitals.

This information may be out-dated though and you might have more options than this.

Maybe someone else can be more effective at helping you find a place.

You should be able to get information on where to get an abortion from your family doctor (what you talk about with them is confidential) or a school nurse, or perhaps an abortion support helpline. You could even try calling one of the phone numbers that Carifairy posted for you, explain that you are having a hard time locating services in SK and they should be able to help you.

Looks like you'll just need to find a place, then find someone to help you get there. The sooner, the better.

Best of luck.
|

replied July 16th, 2007
Experienced User
Actually, hold on - Carifairy's working on it right now. She should be a better help than I am.
|

replied July 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Lonesome45...

In saskatchewan, you would go to a hospital for an abortion. It seems that there are not any actual 'free standing' clinics. It is FULLY covered, 100% FREE, when you go to a hospital. You would need a ride though.. They are hard to find.

This is the national abortion federation in Canada, they are a GREAT resource to help you find out how to get an abortion.

http://www.prochoice.org/canada/index.html

IF you can travel to ALBERTA, there is a clinic that will do an abortion for you for free.... They would be easier to get an appointment at FAST..

ALSO.... Consent in Alberta is based on capacity, not age. If the physician and clinic staff feel you understand the procedure and its risks, you may sign your own consent form
Here it is:

http://www.kensingtonclinic.com/

You can DEFINATELY get an abortion at Kensington clinic without parental consent, and for FREE. You do have to have your HEALTH CARD though.
|

replied July 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
There are only 2 hospitals that offer abortion in SK, and I am trying to find out who they are for you.

It is FREE though.

You can Travel to Alberta though =) You could get an appointment very quickly there.

I believe that this hospital provides abortions
http://www.saskatoonhealthregion.ca/your_h ealth/your_health_ps.htm

Call and ask first though.

It might be a faster drive to go to alberta, as I do not know exactly where you are.

I am going to find the other one!
|

replied July 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Basically what you need to do is call a few hospitals and explain that you need an abortion, and see if they provide the service.

=)

I am trying to find the hospitals, but I get a lot of BS links..
|

User Profile
replied July 16th, 2007
thank you soo much..
theres no way i can get to alberta unfortunatly..
but ill try and phone some hospitals in saskatoon and maybe get my boyfriend to drive me there Smile
thanks alot again
youre a HUGE help Very Happy
|

replied July 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
AWESOME..

Saskatoon is where an abortion provider 'hospital' is, but I do not exactly know which hospital.

You would need a ride, because I am pretty sure you will KNOCKED out completely.
|

User Profile
replied July 16th, 2007
i would get knocked out?
do you know how long i would be knocked out for?
|

replied July 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Maybe 5-10 minutes or less.

Abortion is often done with Iv sedation or anesthesia, it makes it painless.

An abortion only takes about 5 minutes, so you would be asleep or sedated for a very short time.
|

User Profile
replied July 16th, 2007
Carifairy wrote:
Maybe 5-10 minutes or less.

Abortion is often done with Iv sedation or anesthesia, it makes it painless.

An abortion only takes about 5 minutes, so you would be asleep or sedated for a very short time.

oh...okay then
thanks alot...you've really helped me Smile
|

replied November 2nd, 2010
2 toronto sites
i had my first as womens health and choice clinic in north york. it was one person per appointment time slot per waiting room per recovery room and i was able to bring a male companion to hold my hand in operation room.

appointment time, forms, very intimate sessions with counsellor but it was my first so manybe i spoke more, changed and sat on a gross chair with discharge o it ewww pukr, ultrasound, pills, operation table, shove iv n needle in and freezing and dialation, clean, chair recovery, home

i thought i was being a baby when i had my uterus dialated and there was tension feeling as you get when wisdom tooth pulled out, no pain really just pressure. but i was scared and young and i thought it hurt. mild discomfort. the iv was two, one to put me to sedate me to sleep but the second to keep me awake yet still sedated heavily. although it was done insensitivly and pumped me quickly i choked and freaked out for my companions name, i was still okay as he ran in. the recovery took longer but i had a drive it was okay. i was naturally nausous and wanted to puke, my tolerance on this lower than most but you will be dizzy to some extent and should not not not drive. i also do not do well wil antibiotics it tears my insides apart, i want to puke and cramps so bad i tense up n cried. but thats me.

recently, unfortunately, i choice a more known place morgentaler in toronto bayview and eglinton. i regret such a place with a history wouldnt make it their clients comfort first. the waiting room was one big room where as many people they can shove in for an appointment as poosible can look around at eachother and see everyones different swtory painted on their faces. worst yet, you get to see most of the males that are there are the jerk slum who wont support a relationship to have a child. when all the women are gone, they have themselves to stare at, the least of my thoughts...

haunting waiting room .. a short paperwork session .. back to waiting room .. short non invasive consellor .. change, second waiting room smaller side by side other females.. ultrasound, blood, back to smaller waiting room..then nice nurse takes to preps you on table and tiny iv needle no affect, dr comes in opens it, one dialation ok wierd then screaming pain second and third almost got out of table and nurse breath training me whiole my head is back and back is arched.. one more she says !! tears and crying nooo... there were a few more and more pain....

once done n pad on, she says okay swing legs around and well go... i said no, wait, i just couldnt move after trama.... slight discomfort like mentral cramps ? yea right... felt like they pulling my uterus and overaies out ahhhh...

recovery bed nice, warm heated pad on lower stomach and fleese and nice nurse in that room too... info and change and report of any too much dripping bleeding? none, only in recovery room i felt whatevery in that iv made me dizzy , and maybe heartbeat lowered but man dizzy as i was i stormed out.

the recover room chick beside me couldnt help but ask, did it hurt or was it just me.... so i wasnt the only one

pros and cons
health and choice
pro: 100% private the last time i was there
pro: 100% iv affective
pro: male or female in operation room byside
pro: appointment time perfect, time in and out fast
con: slightly dirty
con: not warming nurse by side
con: not caring of first time iv and operation procedure and affects

morgentaler
pro: not a new unknown clinic, trustable, somewhat
pro: cleaner looking
pro: warming nurse by side and talk thru pain (con)
pro: recovery room and supplies affective and relaxing
con: waiting room one and two too public to others personal and private choices
con: waiting at all if have appointment, appointment took 2-3 houors !!
biggest con: iv affectiveness, too much uneccessary pain, will not have me recommend others (you would think having so many people pumped in n out they get paid more they could use proper medication as a lower budget clinic did)
|
Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...