What is the relationship between the Basal Metabolic Rate and whether I burn fat or muscle? I am trying to figure out how many calories I need to eat per day (in relation to my weight and body fat percentage) to start losing fat rather than cannibalize muscle protein.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 15th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
You will have to exercise to ensure you do not lose muscle mass while you are losing fat mass.

Here is a link to the BMR calculator:
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculat or/

Continue to follow the links to determine your calorie intake needs.
|

replied July 16th, 2007
More Clear
sorry. i do not mean the risk of atrophy. i mean when the body doesn't have enough glycogen, so it goes to the muscle INSTEAD of the fat--any input on that?
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2008
Supporter
It takes 30 grams of protein to burn one pound of fat. So no matter what your basal rate or your BMI, as long as you take in 15-30 grams of protein per day , you can minimize the loss of muscle tissue. On many diets such as Physicians Weight Loss or the Belly Buster Diet, you eat real food and supplement it with protein supplements specifically designed for weight loss. If you are dieting on your own, do not lose more than a pound per week. But, if you join a program where you are monitored and you are on protein, you should lose much faster safely.
|
Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....