Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

Been On the Fertility Rollercoaster For Years! Finally Happy

Infertility has been a struggle for my husband and I for about 8 years. I am writing this so that I may give someone some hope, I know how frustrating and difficult trying to get pregnant can be. I am now 40 years old and I do have a happy story...although going through it I did not think it was happy. When I was 32 I got pregnant for the first time, the pregnancy was not planned so it obviously came easily. By the 8th week I had miscarried. I got pregnant 4 more times until I was 35 each ending in a miscarriage. Doctors determined that I have the anti cardio lupin antibody which I guess causes miscarriages. But it is a fairly easy fix, a low dose aspirin and or a daily shot of heparin. My husband and I tried for the next 2 years to get pregnant again and it would not happen. We decided to go to the next step. We started fertility treatment, I did IUI first, and then we did 2 full IVF cycles and 1 frozen embryo cycle. No pregnancy but lots of money gone! The doctors told me at that time that my eggs were too old! The financial burden and the emotional and physical strain was enough and we decided to move on. By this time we were ready for adoption. Also a very long road. I had always seen adoption as a last resort and also as a failure to my fertility. But I promise you, once you get to being truly ready to adopt it is such a blessing. Not a failure! My story does not end here. We were blessed with a healthy 1 day old baby boy 11 months ago. He is my world! I could not love him more! Again my story does not end here. I truly did let go of my fertility and stopped keeping track of my cycle...to me I was not going to have a biological child...well I was wrong. I found out about 5 weeks ago that I am pregnant...I am now just over 12 weeks and I still cant believe it. I dont feel that I am completely out of the woods yet but I am the furthest along I have ever been. I am taking the daily dose of baby aspirin and things seem to be going well. I would not have believed this could happen to me. People always said to me, relax it will happen.... I wanted to yell at them... you try and relax when your husband is sticking a needle in your butt and you are charting your cycles and your temperatures, and your whatever fertility drug they have you on. It is a journey and unfortunately we do not know the outcome but it is a journey I know I had to go on to get to where I am now. I have never been happier and I really hope others that are truly suffering watching their friends, family and co-workers get pregnant all around them will know that there truly will be a peace at the end of their long journey. Good luck ∧ dont give up...persist..and if I can help please post a message.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 13th, 2007
Supporter
my husbands mother had a baby then 12 years later with a new husband but had being trying since my husband was 6 years old anyways she was pregant and the baby died still birth then at forty just when they had been accepted by a christian adpotion place they found out they were pregant and that was when my husband was 17 his mom was 40 when she had another child so I guess relaxing helps. I do hope you carry to term,. I am and will pray for you daily. I have lost many babies to miscarriages only eight of them were confirmed at a doctors but now I do not even go I know what to expect and only go if something abnormal happens.
|

replied July 14th, 2007
Hi Karebare,

I see yu are my neighbor... I am from thunder bay ontario.
Do you have any children or have you had all miscarriages. I am wondering this because I have an antibody that causes miscarriages and it is a really easy fix. It is the anti cardio lupin antibody (i may have spelled it wrong). Once they determine you have it (blood test) they will put you on low dose aspirin daily even when you are not pregnant (in case you get prego). Depending on how high the antibody is they may also want you to give yourself daily injections of heparin once you are pregnant. I am only on the aspirin. One doctor told me that the antibody can come and go in your body too! Typically the miscarriages happen in the first 8 weeks or so.
MK
|

User Profile
replied July 15th, 2007
Experienced User
MK - Your story made me cry. Believe me i am so happy for you. I'll be praying for your healthy full term pregnancy.

**********lots of sticky vibes*********
|

replied July 16th, 2007
Experienced User
wow your story is amazing. you must have alot of patience. hope that everything goes well for the rest of your pregnancy.

lots of sticky baby dust.
|
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....