Medical Questions > Nutrition > Gluten Free Diet Forum

Celiac & Food Additives

Hi people. I have Celiac disease and I have strict diet and I know what is forbidden and what isn't. But I was reading on the net that even the food that is allowed can be harmful in our condition because there are some additives in it. Like for example tofu cheese can contain some additives that are not allowed and it is soy product ... Have any of you heard of something like this ? thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 31st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
yes, I have heard of this. You have to be very careuful when the ingredient label says "Natural flavoring" , ""Caramel coloring" "modified food starch"-(although in the US it has to be made from corn). These are referred to as "hidden glutens" and processed foods are full of them. Many health food stores have gluten free product guides available to assist you with oyour shopping. There is also a national product guide available through the CS/USA website. They cost $20 or soemthing, but they are incredibly worth it. Also, your local support group may also have some resources available. happy hunting!
|

replied June 17th, 2010
Avoiding gluten can be difficult when consuming processed food products due to the additives and other "hidden glutens." It takes practice, but learning to find these hidden gluten sources is essential in sticking to a strict avoidance of gluten. I found the book, "Healthier Without Wheat" to be extremely helpful for me in this process, as it includes a chapter on gluten sources and explanation of some of the hidden sources most commonly found. I hope that it is as helpful for you as it was for me!
|
Must Read
Is Celiac disease a food allergy? (it is not) What causes Celiac and what puts you at risk for developing it? Basic facts about Celiac Disease here....
What can trigger celiac disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? Click here to learn more....
A range of symptoms manifest during Celiac Disease. Learn what signs and symptoms to look for, and when to seek help....