Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Should I consider TMJ surgery ? Chronic pain & TMJ symptoms

User Profile
Is this all related to TMJ? I am now thinking that I should opt for surgery rather than go through this anymore. Everyday life is almost impossible and I cannot live like this anymore. I have had a few doctors tell me that I have fibromyalgia also. What direction do I go?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2007
TMJ Answer A3078
You wrote:"

List of other diseases, conditions, or injuries and their treatment: Degenerative disc disease, HTN, pain that goes from my lower back all the way down to my foot. Constant pain in my ears, neck, shoulders, JAW, and temples. Headaches that last for several days to a week. Complete loss of energy. Seeing a headache and pain management doctor. Just had injections, he went from my upper buttocks to the side of my disc with a long needle and injected medicine for the leg pain problem.

Diagnosis that has been suggested: TMJ from a neurologist & primary physician

Current medical status: Constant pain in my ears, neck, shoulders, JAW, and temples. My head seems to shift towards the right side, don't know if I do this subconsiously because of the pain. Chronic fatigue, tired all the time, can never get enough sleep. Dizziness at times. My blood pressure goes up at times.

Current medical treatment: Seeing a headache and pain management doctor hoping for temporary results."

Given all the symptoms you've mentioned ("constant pain in my ears, neck, shoulders, jaw, temples") ...it does seem that you've been suffering from temporo-mandibular joint disorder. Simple, gentle therapy is usually recommended first for treatment of this disorder. Thus, massaging of various muscles may be involved. Other home therapies might also be useful such as moist heat or cold packs on the face,or vitamin supplements. If all these other options don't alleviate the pain created by TMJ, surgery is considered as a last resort.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our TMJ , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.