Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Celiac Disease Forum

Celiacs Disease And Gatric Bypass Surgery

Celiac disease runs in my family, so the chances to get it are pretty much big. I want to do a gastric bypass surgery and I was wondering if my chances of getting celiac disease are bigger if I have this surgery?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 13th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
There are several triggers for CD, including Pregnancy, tragic events, and surgery. These things affect the auto immune system, and once the crisis has passed, many patients have reported their symptoms of CD became unbearable. Perhaps you should address this issue with your physician prior to the surgery. If you have this, it is possible that changing your diet could subvert your need for gastric bypass surgery.
|

replied February 6th, 2012
I developed CD after gastric bypass, what now?
I had gastric by-pass surgery 7 years ago, and since then have developed CD. It took 3 years, and a really great nurse to finally put 2 and 2 together with all of the issues I was having. Now I have to start the gluten-free diet, and I feel somewhat overwhelmed. This is hereditary in my family and we didn't know until after I had the surgery. I had ALL of the classic symptoms, but noone connected it with CD because I had gained so much weight. I was always thin as a child growing up, but after puberty, several miscarriages, arthritis,and a thyroid tumor, I gained weight, and kept gaining. Having the surgery almost killed me because I lost down from 298 to 100 pounds in just over a year. If you are considering this surgery, I would be extremely cautious. My arthritis is worse, I have been diagnosed pre-diabetic (severe hypoglycemic)and have to fight just to function.
|

replied February 6th, 2012
I developed CD after gastric bypass, what now?
I had gastric by-pass surgery 7 years ago, and since then have developed CD. It took 3 years, and a really great nurse to finally put 2 and 2 together with all of the issues I was having. Now I have to start the gluten-free diet, and I feel somewhat overwhelmed. This is hereditary in my family and we didn't know until after I had the surgery. I had ALL of the classic symptoms, but noone connected it with CD because I had gained so much weight. I was always thin as a child growing up, but after puberty, several miscarriages, arthritis,and a thyroid tumor, I gained weight, and kept gaining. Having the surgery almost killed me because I lost down from 298 to 100 pounds in just over a year. If you are considering this surgery, I would be extremely cautious. My arthritis is worse, I have been diagnosed pre-diabetic (severe hypoglycemic)and have to fight just to function.
|
Must Read
Is Celiac disease a food allergy? (it is not) What causes Celiac and what puts you at risk for developing it? Basic facts about Celiac Disease here....
What can trigger celiac disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? Click here to learn more....
A range of symptoms manifest during Celiac Disease. Learn what signs and symptoms to look for, and when to seek help....