Medical Questions > Cancer > Bone Cancer Forum

Medium Size Bumps On Skull

I have had a medium lump on the left side of forehead at hairline for 5 years. Doctor took xrays and said it was bone and sometime bones just grow like that. It seemed bigger so I went to another doctor a year ago and he took and xray and said it was fine. It is only noticable if you are looking for it because my hairline shape hides it. I had my hair colored last week and the stylist said I had a few "bumps" on my head. I shrugged it off but I noticed 2 bumps at the back of my skull about the size of quarters that were sore this week. I have now noticed another one today behind my right ear about the size of a dime. They are hard, like bone but are sore and are starting to cause me headaches. Whether this is because of the bumps or because of the stress that I am scared I don't know. I know I need to go back to the doctor, but I do not have insurance coverage until August 1st. Could this be something serious or could it wait?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile abohm
|

User Profile
replied August 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Medium Size Bumps On Skull
amandalong21 wrote:
I have had a medium lump on the left side of forehead at hairline for 5 years. Doctor took xrays and said it was bone and sometime bones just grow like that. It seemed bigger so I went to another doctor a year ago and he took and xray and said it was fine. It is only noticable if you are looking for it because my hairline shape hides it. I had my hair colored last week and the stylist said I had a few "bumps" on my head. I shrugged it off but I noticed 2 bumps at the back of my skull about the size of quarters that were sore this week. I have now noticed another one today behind my right ear about the size of a dime. They are hard, like bone but are sore and are starting to cause me headaches. Whether this is because of the bumps or because of the stress that I am scared I don't know. I know I need to go back to the doctor, but I do not have insurance coverage until August 1st. Could this be something serious or could it wait?

How old are you? Is the skin attached to the lumps? Does the skin appear abnormal and discolored over the lumps? Do lumps move freely over the skull?
|

User Profile
replied April 28th, 2009
re: Better Safe than sorry
Hey, you know i've started to notice myself that I am getting lumps on my skull, one behind each ear one below the bone and one ontop of the bone and also one on the back of my head and all of them seem to be painful or sore. But this has all happened to me in less than a week. Symptoms are get very cold or get VERY hot, I drip with sweat. I am only 19 years old and Female.I went to the doctor last week and he gave me some meds and said nothing was wrong he said he didn't know what was wrong so how can a doctor prescribe meds when he doesnt know what my problem is?? Anyway, my meds are not working and this is when i noticed my third lump on the lower back of my skull. I have another doctor appointment tomorrow morning. I say, Better safe than sorry. Rolling Eyes
|

replied May 22nd, 2009
bumps
i am an 18 year old male and my situation is similar to abohms. in like a week my skull started changing. bumps on the back. my forhead is different. my ears seem farther back. what is this?
|

replied November 11th, 2009
bones
hi im 17 female and ive started to feel boney lumps/dents on the top back of my head and at the bottom close to my neck its definatly a different shape and im jus worried about what it can be but i dont want to go to the docs over something stupid
|

replied November 21st, 2009
I would like to see a reply in here since I have my aunt in upstate New York with a similar situation. The difference is she's 76 yrs old with a lot of illnesses. She hasn't been to the doctor yet and I'm afraid this is something serious. She's like a mother to me and would miss her a lot if anything happens to her. We live faraway (I live in Florida) so I'm not able to help her in any way. Please tell me what this could be. Thanks.
|

replied August 3rd, 2010
im 25 male and have had the same thing for about 6 years maybe longer ( my little cousin told me i had horns ) one on the left and right side of my forehead i've been to the doctor a few times and have been told that it was nothing but i get intense migraines frequently and recently i noticed the one on the left side is slightly larger. i went back to the doctor and they checked again ... once again i was told its nothing .. im not to worried about it but i dont want something like this passed down to my kids if its something serious
|

replied September 16th, 2010
I wish someone would give an answer to this. I myself had a large bump "horn" on the right side of my forehead on my hair line. I've always had very intense migraines, and now it feels like the rest of my skull is getting little hard bumps, indentations. wtheck?
|

replied October 11th, 2010
I have had these little lumps what I call them. Went to the Dr. 6 months ago and he said they are cysts, nothing to worry about. They are caused mainly by caffine. I have about 10 in various areas on my head. They itch sometimes, get bigger than smaller. He said I can remove them but no sense in spending the money since they are no threat to my life.
|

replied October 19th, 2010
I have a medium sized hard lump which feels completely like bone.Can you please tell me who i can treat it...and from where i can get good treatment....

|

replied October 25th, 2010
boney growth on the skull getting larger
I also have a "bump" on my forehead at my hairline that feels solid and immovable like bone. I first noticed it about 6-8years ago... it was about the size of a dime them. Now it is about the size of a quarter and is becoming more noticable and I am really not sure what to make of it. I haven't found anything helpful online so far. I am just hoping that it is not cancer!
|

replied November 25th, 2010
I also have a large bump on my skull that grows for years
well, I have a large bump on the top of my head and it's part of the skull, it's bone. The only thing I find weird is that it shifts shape and size but mostly it has been growing along the years - I'm 30. When it's more actively growing the bone becomes softer and it hurts a bit, then solidifies again and it's slightly bigger. It wasn't supposed to happen, cause the skull stops growing at a certain age, but I guess some of us have bones that keep growing even when we're adults. It doesn't mean we have cancer. Still, I would also like to get some answers from doctors, and they have none.
|

User Profile
replied January 20th, 2011
bumps on head
I am fairly sure they are cyst-like and brought on from a combo of stress and caffeine i get these bumps sometimes as well and it makes sense that if you get frequent migraines you would be stressed enough to develop these bumps. The best way to get rid of them is to just take a shower with not extremely hot water, and take gentle care rubbing that area with your normal shampoo and then rinsing well and rinsing against with colder water. Avoid resting the weight of your head against these bumps and try to avoid touching them to get them to go away quickly. You could also apply ice to the bump for a short amount of time for minor pain relief and sometimes shrinkage of swelling.
|

replied June 19th, 2011
I have 7 of these bumps that are hard and give me headaches. I have tried cold and hot, Nothing makes them go away. In the last week they have gone from 3 to 7 bumps. I am 61 and have a history of cancer I have about 3 cups of coffee a week so it is not caffeine.I have no answers from anyone.The idea that they are bones is new to me one that I do not understand.
|

replied August 31st, 2011
headboneskull
Hey! I have this mysterious bump too. I think it is a defined forehead boss or frontal tuberosity. Some people's skull's form differently then others. I also have migraines like most of you. I'm wondering if there is a connection to this. Sometimes it feels like my frontal lobe is very active or even under pressure; are any of you diagnosed with mental health issues?
|

replied September 13th, 2011
Bump on head.
I have a bump that has been slowly increasing in size over the years. I do remember about 10 years ago banging my head hard in this location (no concussion just smarted memorably) and about 7 years ago a small bump started to grow and is now the size of a dime on the right side of my forehead. It seems like bone.....or a horn. I do not have headaches at all. I do drink caffiene and cancer does run in my family. I will get it checked out but I have a suspicion it is simply a calcium type deposit started from banging my head - possibly made a bit of an injury that my skull has been slowly covering with calcium similar to how an oyster would cover a grain of sand that was causing abraision until you get a pearl. I don't like it there and people are starting to notice now and then and have mentioned in the summer that I have a big mosquito bite on my head.....probably not worth cosmetic surgury because the scar left behind may be worse. If anyone has had one of these and have indeed been diagnosed with bone cancer......or any other problems....a reply would be helpfull.
|

User Profile
replied January 4th, 2012
lump in the back of my skull
today i noticed a lump in the back of my head on my skull but behined my left ear. i made a dr. appt. for the 13th im really nurves because I've never experanced this before. I'm 32, I have been a lil stressed latley but like i said its never happened before.
|

replied November 15th, 2012
skull bumps or bone growth
hi im 36 this month and too have been noticing a bump at the back of my ears on top of my head more on one side than the other but i have gotten two bumps or skull growth at the back i have been to the docs and am going again in a couple of days i dont know what to make of it but i am noticing a lot of ppl have this too like you i find it a little stressfull and i do get headaches from it and it has never happened to me before either
|

replied November 15th, 2012
skull bumps or bone growth
hi im 36 this month and too have been noticing a bump at the back of my ears on top of my head more on one side than the other but i have gotten two bumps or skull growth at the back i have been to the docs and am going again in a couple of days i dont know what to make of it but i am noticing a lot of ppl have this too like you i find it a little stressfull and i do get headaches from it and it has never happened to me before either
|

replied December 29th, 2012
I've got a bump on my head. I hope it's not a wart that transferred from my penis.
It's probably nothing.
I say life is too short to worry. Continue to enjoy life or see you doctor.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied November 19th, 2013
My doctor thought it was a cyst to start with as I have had them before on other parts of my body. I had x rays and ultrasound done on my lump and was advised it is bone. Probably from bumping my head on something some time ago. I dont really remember knocking my head hard but its posable. Told me its not cancer however I do advise to get a check up just in case
|

replied January 3rd, 2014
skull
The skull isn't smooth. Some people have bumps, ridges & valleys. If it's bone & has been there forever, it's probably just your normal skull.
|
Quick Reply