Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Ectopic pregnancy vaginal bleeding + Herpes zoster lesion

User Profile
I am having pain/weakness in my right leg from the calf to my inner thigh, and now my right arm is hurting. I am an on again off again smoker, age 40 on birth control; however, I tend to start and stop my BCP because I know I shouldn't be taknig it while smoking. My periods have always been normal until this last one which started in the middle of my pill cycle, lasted for 10 days, accompanied by the leg pain, stomach pain, and now arm pain, all on the right side. I took a pregnancy test which was negative (I've had an ectopic pregnancy before and wanted to rule that out). I had an ultrasound, but have not got the results yet, but I'm expecting it to be normal...my bleeding has basically subsided after the 10 to 11 days, but I continue to have weakness and pain on the right side of my body. I have a herpes sore that comes and goes on the right leg and I took some Acyclovir, which normally works quickly, but this time it didn't do anything, which tells me that's not what this is (i

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2007
General Q and A Answer A3122
A Herpes zoster is a painful lesion because the virus affects both skin and peripheral sensitive nerves.

It seems that the irregular vaginal bleeding you are experiencing is not a period but is probably spotting. In cases of ectopic pregnancy vaginal bleeding is functional and due to pregnancy abortion. In cases of ectopic pregnancies, the pregnancy test could be negative HCG may be low, so a blood-based pregnancy test is recommended rather than a urine-based test. An ultrasound scan can help to clear up the causes for this situation. You can consult your gynecologist about this. (NOTE: Ectopic pregnancy can’t cause pain in the leg and arm).

Finally, you might consider stopping smoking instead of stopping taking birth control pills. It would be better for your health. For support, you might be interested in our Stop Smoking Forum here on ehealth.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.