Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

How Do You Clear Your Medical Record ?

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
User Profile
I just wont to know how to clear your medical record. Ive been plagued by false conditions that i don't have since i was about 3 years old.

Im supposedly autistic and emotionally handicapped. I can understand the being autistic for a time but im obviously not now and i don't really know what being emotionally handicapped means. I emotionally respond the normal way anyone else does.

Im normal and i wont to have theses taken off the record but i don't know how. Can i just call the hospital and change it or what? Pleas help.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 12th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
That's a very interesting question. I think it would be a long process, too- the hospital would see it from a liability point of view. There are privacy regulations-HIPPA, for example-the prohibit the unauthorized viewing of your medical records. This may ease your mind.

You may just have to ask for an addendum to your records-something along the lines of what you've said here (I don't have this...etc.).

Edit: I did a google search and came across this policy, but this policy is from only one hospital and I don't know if it's universal or not, but here goes anyways:

"You have the right to request a change to your health information.
If you feel that medical information we have about you is incorrect or incomplete, you may ask us to change this information. This means that you may request a change for as long as we maintain the information. Your request must be in writing and submitted to the Privacy Officer at McLaren Regional Medical Center. In addition, you must provide a reason that supports your request. We may deny your request for a change if it is not in writing or does not include a reason to support your request. In addition, we may deny your request if you ask us to change information that:

Was not created by us, unless the person who created the information is no longer available to make the change;
Is not part of the medical information kept by or for one of the McLaren Regional Medical Center facilities listed on first page;
Is not part of the information which you would be permitted to inspect and copy; or
Is accurate or complete. "

[link removed]

Best of luck!
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply