I am on topamax for severe migraines because it is the only medicine that worked. I got a small calciam oxlate kidney stone. Neurologist sent me to urologist who said ok to continue on topamax if I drank 64 oz. water a day and 2 tsp of baking soda as my urine was too acidic. I have been doing that but checking my urine and it has swung completely the other way and now is totally akaline. Does the Topamax make your urine akaline and cause the stones? Does the bakig soda help or make it worse? I am confused and don't know if I am making things worse. Would drinking lemonade help or hurt me? Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MandMs
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
You should stop using baking soda.
Its usage helps preventing uric acid kidney stone formation that happens when the urine is more acidic (baking soda makes the urine less acidic), but, raises the risk of forming calcium kidney stones.
Topamax is linked with greater risk for forming kidney stones, cause leads to lower concentrations of urine substance, known as urinary citrate, which helps inhibit stone formation, and higher pH of the urine, which boosts kidney stone risk.
You should continue on drink 32 to 64 ounces of water a day, and increasing your vitamin C intake (lemonade), which lowers the urine pH.
Change in your diet, like adding more vegetable protein, like tofu, soy, eggs, dairy protein should be helpful, too.
|

replied March 9th, 2011
Topamax
Hi MarineQueen

I know this is a late reply but it might help someone else with the same type question. I am on Topamax for seizures. Chemo damaged my Cerebellum and now I have non stop seizures. Topamax has been a miracle drug for me, except I have already had 2 bout of kidney stones. It's a difficult choice seizures or stones. I chose to deal with the Kidney Stones. The first thing you need to do is lower the ph of your urine/blood. Your Doctor was right in having you take the 2 tsp of baking soda. When your urine is acidic you will develop kidney stone more quickly and many other disease and illnesses including cancer. You like to have a good balance of your pH but it is better to be slightly on the alkaline side than too much on the acidic side, especially for Kidney Stone development. Orange juice is very effective as is lemon juice in water in dissolving the stones. Drinking lots of water is a must with this medication.
|

replied August 15th, 2015
I know i am like years late but i have also had problems with kidney stones while taking topamax and my doctor made me stop taking it and i was wondering if anything you did helped slow down the kidney stones and how often did you get them?
|

replied March 9th, 2011
I am also on Topamax for migraines, but haven't had any problems with kidney stones. I drink lots of water everyday, so maybe that helps me. I don't drink sodas at all & I drink 1 glass of orange juice a day or have it in a smoothie.
Topamax has been a miracle for my migraines. I have only had three in the past 4 months, instead of 1 or 2 a week for several days at a time.
|

replied September 28th, 2012
Gastritis and chest pressure is it due to Topamax?
hello i am on topamax for almost a year for seizures!!! I am scared.. I was a not a water drinker at all but when I recently got diagnosed with acidity and gastritis, I drink at least 12 glasses a day..Please tell me about this drug should I stick with it.. is it good as I was using Depakote before.. I had a lot of weight gain with it but wasnt scared for kidney stones or heart disease... please help me
|

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2015
When stones are small and more likely to pass, lemon juice and olive may help ease this process. Mixing lemon juice and olive oil, followed by drinking water, can help break down smaller stones.
|
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...