Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

Top 5 Proven Tips to Quit Smoking

There are hundreds of reasons why people decide to quit smoking, and there are hundreds more reasons why they fail. However, there are five things that anyone can do to make quitting smoking as easy, as permanent and as possible as they can.

1 - Manage weight gain. A common demotivator for giving up smoking is that you don’t want to gain weight, however, not every smoker who quits will gain weight, and those who do will only gain an average of four to 10 pounds. Plus, some research shows that smoking can actually make you unhealthily thin, so gaining a little weight can be a good thing. However, the best way to overcome your excuses and make a real attempt at quitting smoking it to understand what’s happening with your body when you quit, and using the following tips to avoid gaining excess weight:

- Smoking increases your metabolism. This sounds like a good thing because it helps you burn more calories, but smoking increases your metabolism to an unhealthy rate. immediately after smoking a cigarette your heart rate increases by 10 to 20 beats per minute, and when you quit smoking your metabolic rate quickly returns to normal, but many smokers will continue to eat the same number of calories.

- Pick up a good new habit. You may start eating or chewing gum when you quit to occupy your hands and mouth, but just make sure you are aware of the calories of what you’re eating. Opt for sugar free gum and sweets or better yet chew of carrot or celery sticks. At the same time don’t make radical changes to the way you eat because crash diets can be very harmful to your health too.

- Stay busy. To distract yourself from your urge to smoke, fill your day with activities which don’t revolve around eating. For example walking, gardening and doing chores will all burn calories and keep your hands and mind occupied.

- Ask your doctor. Your doctor may be able to recommend products or medications developed to help people quit smoking while keeping weight off. Your doctor will be able to recommend the right option for your needs.

- Your health is more important that what the scales say. It’s true that being overweight is unhealthy, but don’t use the fact that you gain a few pounds as an excuse to start smoking again. A few extra pounds of weight are still a better option than all the toxins from the cigarettes.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper quadhealthy
|

User Profile
replied February 7th, 2013
I agree, our health is more important than the pleasure we get from smoking. smoking is really unhealthy for us, it would be best to avoid it.
|

replied February 8th, 2013
it's been around two years since i smoked my last cigarette. And it it took me a year to quit. I gradually started reducing cigarettes and finally quit after a year. Now i don't like to smoke. It doesn't taste good to me.
|

replied February 12th, 2013
Thanks for sharing such wonderful info.
|

User Profile
replied February 27th, 2013
Experienced User
Hey there,

Thank you very much for this post. I don't smoke, but I know a lot of people who do. I could share your insights to them, they are a great help.

One thing I'd like to point out though. It's the nicotine in cigarettes that's keeping smokers hooked. And it takes a while and a bit of effort to get it out of the system. Which is why it is understandable why smokers go through the dilemma of quitting. This is also the reason why we cannot say a smoker is "weak" if he cannot quit smoking easily. An addiction is an addiction, and it takes a while to process out of it.
|

replied February 27th, 2013
Hello,
Your post is good thanks...
|