User Profile
For me it's
#1 Shellfish (I NEVER NEVER eat shellfish)
#2 Beer/wine (sober 2 years!!)
#3 all other meat (I just started eating a small amount of meat about once a week)
#4 nuts sometimes
#5 beans pretty often

I am going to look into sleep apnea very soon thanks to pain free
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 19th, 2008
Experienced User
A recent study showed that people who drink a lot of soda pop sweetened with high fructose corn syrup have higher levels of serum uric acid and more frequent attacks of gout than those who drink only artificially sweetened soda pop. It's been known for forty years that fructose can have that effect. Cane sugar (table sugar) probably has the same effect since its almost identical chemically to high fructose corn syrup.

An even more recent study shows that taking 400-500 mg a day of vitamin C mitigates that effect of fructose. That's probably why the effect of fructose in fruit is much less severe - because there is natural vitamin C in fruit. But when the fruit is used to make fruit juice that is shelved for a long time, the natural vitamin C may be reduced, but the fructose isn't.
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2008
interesting about High Fructose Corn Syrup
I drink a ton of soda at my new job and this is a perfect reason to cut it out. Is eating an orange in the morning as good as taking c pills?
|

replied May 20th, 2008
Experienced User
It's my impression the an orange contains less vitamin C than 400 mg, but it probably contains enough to protect humans from the deleterious effects of the fructose contained in that orange. I'm sure that there are websites that describe the range of vitamin C that can be found in one orange.
|
Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....