Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Toothache that cannot be diagnosed

User Profile
I have a had a dull constant toothache that has started 2 months ago, when my wisdom tooth was growing. The wisdom tooth was partially erupted, and i developed an infection which caused my face to swell. I drank antibiotics and the infection was gone. However, my toothache (in the molar beside the wisdom tooth) appeared when i was taking antibiotics. I got this wisdom tooth extracted a month ago, which is fine. But the molar beside it still hurts. The pain started out as dull, but now i think it has gotten stronger. This tooth is not sensitive to hot nor cold, but a bit sensitive to pressure.The pain is not due to any stimulus, and its difficult to fall asleep with this pain.

I went to different dentists regarding this toothache, and they took x-rays. Nothing showed, no sign of decay or anything, which is a bit frightening. The dentist suggested it can be neurological, but i don't think so, because the pain is not shooting.

I also want to note, that when i scrape at the bottom of the tooth (beside the gumline) with my fingernail - it is sensitive and it hurts to do so. Do i just need a sealant, or do i need root canal, or change my filling? The filling that i have in this tooth is old, but its not close to the pulp. I would be a bit wary of undergoing a root canal if nothing shows up on x-rays.. but still i want the pain to go. Can anyone please suggest what this could be?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 29th, 2017
Regular pain in your teeth is a sign of infection. I would suggest to go with dental sealants as this treatment is recognized as an effective approach for preventing tooth decay.
|

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2017
Regular pain is definitely a sign of infection. In your case since there's no enamel decay seems it might be the dentin layer decay. Do consult an endodontist at the earliest.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....