I'm not diabetic, but could not find a better place to post this in

I fear that i maybe becoming diabetic,
I excess the daily sugar amounts for my age, and for an adult for this matter
I am 16 years old, if i have cereal, i have around 8 generous table spoons
I eat lots of sweets, sugar sweets, etc..
With a cup of tea (very rare) i will normally have half a cup of sugar, a lot of milk, and of course water.

I try to have smaller amounts, but i really can't
No matter what i try i always eat excessive amounts

I have been looking at diabetes symptoms the past couple of days.
And some symptoms match me.
Leg aches/shooting pains
Random weight loss (9st 8.. i went down to 8st 13 somehow) (Now back up to 9st 1/2)
Blurred vision
Without breakfast i normally get excessive shakes within 2/3 hours
I keep drinking lots of water, 1 day i had around 3-4L of water, and was still thirsty
Even without a lot of water, i need to toilet frequently (every 1/2 hours maybe)
Please i don't know what to do
I honestly need to stop having the amounts of sugar that i crave.
But i fear if i stop, maybe i will completely mess up my diet, and become even more ill?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 23rd, 2008
Supporter
I wouldn't suggest that you make any major changes until you get diagnosed and either confirm or exclude diabetes as a possible diagnosis. A fasting plasma glucose (about an 8 hour fast) or an oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) may be used to diagnose diabetes and pre-diabetes. The American Diabetes Association, however, recommends the fasting plasma glucose test because it is easier, faster, and less expensive to perform. Can you get this condition checked out?
|

8 hour fast, eat NOTHING.. or just nothing with sugar?
I could do it tomorrow, but what else do i need to do after the 8 hour fast?
|

User Profile
Supporter
Doctors will then test your blood to determine whether your blood-sugar level is in the diabetes range! Smile Do you have a family physician that you see regularly? S/He can help you take this blood test.

Check out the details on the "Prevention/Screening" section of this link:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/diabete s.html
|

replied September 24th, 2008
Should i see the doctor before i try this 8 hour fast?
I could try and book an appointment tomorrow after college
I tried it today, and i felt like i was going to pass out after 2 hours (i woke up at 10:30 today) As i write this i am eating
|

User Profile
replied September 24th, 2008
Supporter
Any type of diabetes testing is ALWAYS done under the supervision of a doctor. Schedule an appointment first, visit the doc, and THEN start the fasting. Please let us know how it goes.
|

replied November 2nd, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Welcome
The test is called a fasting blood sugar test. You go to a lab and have them draw blood. You usually get this done first thing in the morning. You cannot eat or drink anything for 8 hours. I always have this done. It's not a big deal. Stop eating after supper time the night before. Do not eat until after the test. They can also do a blood test called A1C which will tell how your sugar levels have been for the last 3 months. Good luck.
|

User Profile
replied November 2nd, 2008
Hi there

I am a diabetic lady, diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago, and even if you suspect that you are diabetic get professional medical advice as this can be serious and fatal if left too long.

I felt ill with various symptoms for a long time and it wasnt until I nearly went into a diabetic coma that give me a wake up call.

If you need to chat just contact me...
|

replied January 3rd, 2016
Active User, very eHealthy
|

User Profile
replied September 27th, 2018
Experienced User
You yourself answered your own question. Yes you can get sick. Stop eating sugar. Dried fruits are an excellent substitute for sugar. Honey is a treasure.
|
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....