Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

tongue started to go numb, then my lips and my face?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
User Profile
Hi, Im 17 years old and I have been having these what to seem as panic attacks for about a year now. They went away for a few months but just recently while I was at home, my tongue started to go numb, then my lips and my face. Not only that, but when I stood up, my body started to feel as though it was in a strobe light effect. I do not know how else to describe it and it has concerned me very much. Please help with any answers or ideas of what this could be.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2011
Anxiety and Stress Answer A21720

You may be experiencing ongoing symptoms of anxiety. They need not be full blown panic attacks. You may also need to check if you have your blood parameters within normal limits. Anemia (low hemoglobin) can also lead to similar symptoms. Low blood sugar can also cause similar symptoms. You can consider a GP's consultation and get these tests done (hemoglobin and blood sugar) to start with.

If these symptoms subside on their own, they might be anxiety related. You can try re-breathing in a paper bag to see if the symptoms subside. This will just be an indication that they are anxiety related.

Hope this helps.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please consult with your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment options)

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.