Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Told I have eating disorder

I'm currently 16 years old, 17 this September, and when I was in the years 8-10 at school I drastically started cutting out foods from my diet due to boys saying I didn't deserve to eat food and being bullied. At the beginning it wasn't necessarily an obsession with weight. However I started expieriencing family issues and then met a girl online who was anorexic and convinced me I didn't need to eat food. I lost a lot of weight, and didn't get too far before my school got suspicious. My parents found out, making the situation worse at home, however I recieved counselling (as I was also self harming at the time) and over time I began to eat more.

Now I'm in year 11, I don't know what has triggered it again, but I'm more obsessed with food and weight then I ever was before. I have an extreme phobia of gaining weight which holds me back from getting better. I don't really like to eat infront of people, and still am scared of eating in school. The school are concerned, one teacher in particular I have regular meetings with and I feel she is the only person I can talk to about this. I don't drink a lot of water and do feel dizzy and light headed a lot. I have quite poor blood circulation as well.

Recently I have been undertaking my CGSE exams. I tried and tried to eat or the sake of my exams, as I am quite a perfectionist and need to do well to get to where I want to be. I ate breakfast on some days, and I hated it. I only have 3 exams left now, and I have noticed myself gaining weight. I know that after my exams finish I will follow back into starvation and I will be back to square one again.

I am almost 5’7 and weight about 46kg. I’ve been told I have an eating disorder by my teacher as my mind is constantly portrayed by food. I don’t know what to do.

Amy
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 6th, 2009
Firstly its really good that you have someone like your teacher who is cares about you enough to tell you something like that.
As for what to do, i should probably advocate professional help. But what helps me the most:
1.Figure out the triggers.
Like you say you had family problems was it because of lack of control, bereavement, abuse ect, im guessing that will be your primary trigger. Then as the your eating habits got worse, you started thinking about weight, appearance ect (anorexia can come with this thing called body dimorphic disorder -google it) thats your secondary trigger. So what i do whenever i feel triggered to stop eating is to try and address those issues(positive) rather than starving myself(negative).

2. Think about your future if you carry on.
You say you want to do well in your GCSE's, i assume its because you want to be/do something in your future, if you want to reach it you are going to have be healthy enough to last that long, if you get me.

3.Know risks of having an eating disorder.
I read once that for anorexia, 10% of suffers die from the disease(heart failure, osteoporosis, suicide, ect.), 20% recover, 80% will always be affected by it. This is my drive to be in the 20%.

thats my thought process when i feel like i want to go back to it, i hope i somewhat helped x
|

replied June 29th, 2009
i dont know alot about anorexia, but i know stuff about water.

water has zero cals, so you should never limit yourself with it, it can help cleanse your body, and help you feel less lightheaded.

you can only survive 3 days without water or food. do drink up
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....