Medical Questions > Parenting > Toddlers Forum

toddler with lump on sternum

I have a 20 month old who has a grape sized hard lump on the tip of his ribcage near sternam. Took him to the doctors who told me that it could be cartilage that has moved for whatever reason and not to worry about it. It does have me worried though. He is in no pain and acts completly normal. But I still am worried about seeing this lump there. Does anyone know what this could be, or is it really just cartilage?
Has anyone had this happen to their child? Please help ease my worries. thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 25th, 2008
Supporter
Have you requested xrays or an MRI of the area? OR are you relying on the doctor's assumption?
|

The doctor said there was no need to do X-rays or any other diagnostic testing because all it is is cartilage that has moved. That is why I am concerned because I am having to go on just her assumption. We are on a military base overseas, and the doctors here are not good. So I am always double checking everything they say, and find them hard to rely on.
|

User Profile
Supporter
I agree with you. I'd request both if I were you, which can show you the soft tissue AND the bone structure of the area. I grew up in the military system and also distrust it...there is no incentive to actually help people. It's more like --- who's next? and take these antibiotics... glance
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....