Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

Tobacco

User Profile
I'm using the term tobacco because I used to smoke and now I chew. not a safe alternative by the way. I quit once for 5 years and then let one of my ex's get me hooked again. this time around it seems much harder to quit and the last time I thought it was gonna drive me insane. 3 years ago I was up to 2.5 cans per day now it's 1 can to about 3 - 4 days. it's getting there but it's a slow process for me. for anyone trying to quit any type of nicotine related habit and this is just from my own personal experience so it might be different with you. the best way to quit is to decide to quit on the spot and hold to that decision. sure there are drugs you can take or try to taper off but in the end your body is always going to crave the habit of the action as well as the physical biological/chemical addiction that goes along with it. Just have to say no and mean it. which is what I'm attempting to do once again.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 21st, 2017
Three options that can help in this regard are nicotine replacement therapy varenciclin and bupropion. nicotine replacement therapy can include gums inhalers lozenges or nasal spray forms. they are used in people with high dependence on nicotine. for the next two options these should be started one week prior to the patient at target date of quitting and can be used for up to 12 weeks however caution should be taken in patients having history of depression self harm or History of seizures.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Addiction
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stop Smoking , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.