User Profile
Step one to a new lifestyle.
It seems there is always the latest frenzy of diets.
Brand name diets come and go as quickly as Octomom
is having babies. Then there are the “Extreme” diets.

I would say over 95% of diets out there work. I do
question ones health on extreme diets that
advertise losing 7-10 pounds per week; when a
healthy weight loss should be no more than
2-3 pounds a week.

The problem with the word “DIET” is that you can't
stay on them forever. One could end up with serious
health issues staying on an “Extreme” diet over the
recommended length of time.

Forget the diets, forget the calorie counting unless
you're a professional athlete. How about a lifestyle
change. Make a decision, a promise to change the
way you're eating, to excersie consistently, to have
a new LIFESTYLE on your own health.

Start by a decision. Write your goals down on a
3 x 5 card and place it on your bathroom mirror.
The goals should be:
How much do you want to weigh.
When do you want to achieve the new weight.

Be realistic on the time issue. You shouldn't be
losing anymore than 2-3 pounds a week after your
first 2 weeks of your new lifestyle.

Take a head to toe photo. Take measurements of
arms, chest, waist, hips (if female) and thighs. Get
serious, take your lifestyle by the horns.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 6th, 2009
A diet and a healthy lifestyle is closely related and all I can say is we need to stay healthy either way!
|

User Profile
replied July 6th, 2009
Supporter
Well, he means that diets are temporary and most people go back to their old habits afterwards. A healthy lifestyle change is a new way to live and eat.
|

replied July 6th, 2009
Community Volunteer
We changed the diet and the lifestyle...Carbos are counted...Not eating after a certain time of night...I keep track of what my husband and I both eat...I have to...If we have a craving for something we satisfy it...Everything about our diet has changed...We feel better and both of us look better...Exercise is out of the question as I have bad knees and he is a close second with two knee replacements and a hip replacement...We never diet and the word is not spoken...If I want double dipped chocolate covered peanuts, I only get 8 as I know they equal 222 calories...These are deducted from my everyday calorie count...Actually, I am a walking calculator...But, life is good...

Caroline
|

User Profile
replied July 6th, 2009
Supporter
Even though you're watching your calories, you still have changed your lifestyle-way of eating moreso than dieting. This will probably be a permanent way of life for you. Everyone has to do what works for them. I've changed my way of eating by cutting out the junk food, eating more fruits, and eating smaller portions. I find that my stomach feels better. I also don't use any caffeine, mostly drink spring water. I do yoga twice a week and I'm going to start the treadmill at the gym. I used to walk but it's been like 100 degrees and always raining. I don't consider this a diet but a change in my lifestyle.
|
Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....