Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

TMJ Pain for a Week getting slightly desperate.

I don't normally post on health forums like this but I am getting slightly desperate. I was diagnosed with TMJ a year ago after a week-long flare up. Since then I have had a mouthguard and solid splint which I wear at night. Until now this has controlled the pain. However, last week I started getting jaw pain again. This has become increasingly worse despite the fact I have been wearing my mouth guard all day and night abd has now spread to my head and neck. I have been taking diclofenac and paracetamol and using hot compresses but nothing seems to help. It has gotten to the point I am unable to sleep as laying down makes the pain too bad.My dentist essentially told me that I would have to see it through.
I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and has any advice on how to reduce the pain? Is there anything a doctor or dentist could do?
Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 14th, 2015
Hello,

I also have TMJ. For 2 years it was very painful, then got better. I was in physical therapy and taking lorazepam. Recently it started coming back. I think it was because of my new job and because of the long difficult commute. Anyway, I tried different things and have found (to my surprise) that walking for 20-30 minutes before work, at lunch, and after work has helped me so much! I never would have believed it!
|
Did you find this post helpful?