A little bit of history.
I have a history of depression, but only started gettin treatment for it for the last year, using Zoloft. Worked great for the first 6 months, but my body got used to it and no matter how much they upped the script, it didn''t work. Finally got switched to prozac not even a week ago.
I''ve had breathing problems since I was 8 years old. Never seen a doctor for it, since it wasn''t an everyday thing. And plus I didn''t like going to the doctor for evey little thing- until now! I was sitting in a stressmanagement class and it hit me and it hit me hard and it didn''t ease up, I was pretty scared, so I called the doctor and made an appointment for the next day. He thinks it is panic attacks. Since my chest sounds normal and my lung capacity is good too. I was given Zanax.
I was just told that I have TMJ about a month ago. I''ve been dealing with it for about 6 years now. The pain is in my lower jaw, neck/throat area, and in my ear. The pain is blinding. I used to take Motrin and Tylenol for it as often as I could, even though the Motrin would only take the pain away for about 20 minutes at a time and the Tylenol would only work for about an hour. So I finally went to the dentist. I have issues with make teeth. There just isn''t enough room in my mouth for all of them! And 3 of the 4 wisdom teeth had broken off. So I assumed this was the problem. They removed the "root tips" in my mouth on the right side. And the pain switched to the other side! Even though I was still having pains on the right, it wasn''t in my ear so I assumed it was just from the surgery. I also thought the pain switching was because I needed my other two wisdoms needed to be removed- so they were. The pain switched back to the right side about a week after havng the left side wisdoms removed. And the pain only got worse, and hasn''t gone away. It has been a little over 2 months since the last surgery. My doctor is the one who told me I have TMJ.
I am sensitive to Motrin Asprin and Alive. The first two give me stomach pain and make me sick to my stomach. And the other gives me a really weird head congestion which then makes me sick to my stomach. But he says they are the only things that will help and gave me a script for Motrin 600''s and Zantac.
About 3 months ago I had my first paps since I had my daughter. I found out that I have HPV, and the paps test came back abnormal. So I had another paps so they could do a biopsy. The test came back that I have a High Grade Displaysia. I am scheduled for another paps at another doctor to see how far gone and what treatment should be done.
I''ve been having lower back, hip/butt, shoulder, and neck pains.
I went to a free clinic for the back pain about 6 months ago. They gave me pain meds, which helped, but obvioulsy didn''t take the problem away. I was asked to come back the following week if nothing had change. Nothing changed so I went back. Pain meds again and asked to come back. I came back again they gave me pain meds and told me to go get X-rays done. The X-rays showed nothing, even though the tec asked me if my pain was also in my butt/ hip area- which it was. So I went back to the clinic and they told me to go to phsyical threrapy to make my back stronger. I was pretty upset. It didn''t make a whole lot of sense since the first doctor felt a knott in my lower back and the second doctor said my back was "a wall of solid muscule".

I''ve been to my doctor many of times in the last few months and I come away even more frustrated than I was before I went! I say something about my back and neck pains everytime I see them, and not once have they even asked or checked it out. They haven''t even done any blood work on me??? Which II don''t understand what so ever. If someone is have these many issues wouldn''t they want to find out what is going on with me? They are great with the TMJ and my depression. Even though he really can''t do anything for the TMJ other than give me Motrin. He said I need to see the dentist about a "Bite Block" which I can''t really afford right now. And plus I am a little upset at the dentist for not seeing that I had TMJ, they did alot of X-rays and found nothing?
A friend of mine that I met on line was the first to say that I more than Likely had TMJ. And she also thinks I may have Fibromyalgia! She used to be a pharmacy tech, but that was before her fibro got really bad. Now she is on disability.
All of this is scaring me. I am only 30 years old and I am falling apart! I don''t think I am being taken seriously by my doctors. Since Everytime I go in I seem to have something else wrong with me! I don''t know if they think I am going in just to get pain meds or what. But that is no where near the truth! I want to find out what is wrong with me, and then treat it! I understand why the doctors are so weird about not handing out pain meds, so many people abuse them! My grandmother was one of them, and she basically died because of them! I just want a normal life again. I am sick of being in pain, not being able to do normal things. I can''t concentrate on anything, I can''t sleep through the night cause I wake up in pain. I don''t even want to leave my house, I don''t want to go to work, I don''t want to do anything except sit around, and even that hurts. I am at my wits end. I don''t know how to make my doctor take me serious! I really need some help. I just don''t know where to turn to get this help...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 28th, 2010
Supporter
Hi Kristal,

As far as a bite plate goes for your TMJ it works quite well for my sister. She wears it at night.

To find out if you do have back problems you definately need to get an MRI. That's the only way they can really diagnose disk bulges, disk protrusions, and herniated disks in your spine.

Also you definately need a full blood work-up, not just a normal CBC which includes checking your thyroid stimulating hormones, other hormones, and also check your vitamin levels. Low levels of vitamin D can cause so many symptoms, one is severe bone pain. People have been diagnosed with fibromylaysia who really have low vitamin D, something the doctors never checked. I really do not think you are clinically depressed. If you are constantly in pain that alone will cause your depression. It seems like physicians today think they can solve all your problems with an anti-depressent. I can't help you with HPV because I really don't know what type of disorder that is but anytime you have a medical problem it can cause an array of symptoms. Xanax does work well for anxiety, I take it when needed, also use it to help me relax and sleep. I understand that you cannot afford to purchase a bite plate, but before you do I would definately go see an orthodonist. They are much more qualified to help with your TMJ problems. Usually it is caused from misalligned teeth, they may look straight but don't let that fool you. Your teeth could be to close together, an overbite, underbite are all things that can cause TMJ. Also sounds like you need to keep searching for a doc that will take the time to prescribe tests that may give you the answers you need. You know your own body and how you feel, if its normal, or not. I knew I was having problems, I was cold all the time, my hair was falling out, dry skin, unintended weight gain, forgetfulness, and constant fatique. I suspected hypothyroidism so I did much research on the disorder so I asked my PCP to give me the TSH & T4 blood test. He said everything looks fine. Well after hours of articles I learned that many doctors are still following the old guidelines for thyroid tests. It used to be if your numbers fell between .03 to 6 you were fine. In 2002 endocrinologists learned that those numbers were wrong. The new guidelines are .03 to 3 is within the normal range. My tests showed that I was at a 5.48 which is considered very high in today's standards. I searched for a endocrinologist who used the new scale, he was so kind, told me I don't want you to suffer anymore and put me on 75mcls of synthroid. After 2 weeks I was still constantly sleepy, so I called back his office. The previous week he had sent me to get a series of bloodtests and that's when I found out I am vitamin deficient. Normal is between 30 & 100 and I was at a 12. This explained my severe bone pain I was experiencing. He put me on 50,000 units of vitamin D once a week, and then I will start taking 2,000 mgs daily along with a daily vitamin. Unfortunately it will take anywhere from 2 to 3 months to get my levels to normal. I had horrible teeth, they were straight but at age 16, 36 years ago I had found out I had peridontal disease. Over the years it progressively got worse, finally 5 years ago I had enough and decided to get dentures. It took a while to get used to them but I certainly do not regret it. I now have a beautiful white smile and no more oral pain. It also improved my health. Another thing, no one knows I have false teeth, however I now get so many compliments on my beautiful smile. Well please keep looking for a doctor, just one, I would suggest an internist for all your medical problems. If you like him or her stay with them. Eventually you will build a good relationship with them, they will know you well and will be better able to help you. ER's are not the place to get help, other than serious problems, infections, and uncontrollable pain. ER's only do the simplest tests just to make sure you do not have an emergency. Good luck Kris and I hope you will start to feel better soon.
Cindy
|
Users who thank Cindyrelli57 for this post: Kristalisme 

replied April 28th, 2010
First off, thank you! I really do appreciate you taking time out of your day to respond to my, I guess you can say, question. It means a lot to me... I'm new to all of this forum stuff and I'm not so sure what to say or how to actually ask questions to get a reply.
But I am going to take your advice on getting a different doctor. I think I am at a bit of a disadvantage with my age. Since soo many people my age are abusing prescription drugs. And also because when I go into see the doctor, I don't know how to ask questions or even how to put into words exactly how I am feeling or what is wrong with me. When my doctor called me and told me the results of my biopsy, I basically just said, ok thanks. But I called her a few days later to ask exactly what it was I had or was going to have done to me. She was able to explain WHAT I had, but not really what I was having done to get rid of it or anything like that. I had to look it up online, and there are a number of different treatments for it. But she also didn't mention that most of these "treatments" will basically enable me to have children. I am only 30! I'm not saying that I want another baby right now, but I don't like the fact that I won't be able to have another child, sometime down the road. I do understand that If I don't have the "treatments" done, I will end up with cervical cancer. But I would still like to know ALL of my options- from the doctor herself, rather than having to find out everything from the internet! But I guess her lack of communication is more of a reason to find a new doctor.
I went to the dentist today to get another one of my back teeth removed. I have bad teeth myself. They are over crowded, I have no overbite or underbite what so ever, and I clench my teeth in my sleep and even when I am awake. Anyway, I asked them about my TMJ, and if they could recommend someone who could treat it.
But I am rambling on and on when I just wanted to thank you for your kindness and advice... Oh, and good luck to you Cindy! Hope everything works out for you as well.
|

replied April 28th, 2010
Supporter
hi kristal

I had over crowded teeth as well, this is what caused all of my dental problems. food particles would get lodged and it was difficult to floss them. Then for about 2 years we didnt have dental ins. so i just couldnt see a dentist. I wound up at the U of M dental school in ann arbor michigan, that was the only way i could afford to do it. i really think you need a bite plate, it may give you some relief, but i know if u dont have money or ins. u just cant get the help. Before you go to the doctors, write down a list of questions and take they with you. people tend to think of docs as their superiors and they r not. kinda when u were in school and you had to respect your teacher. I know how it feels to want the option to have another child but I had so many problems with my 2 births, i hemmoraged almost died and was told its best not too take the chance on having another one because of the risks. then at 28 years old i had to have a hysterectomy. I love children and wanted 4, but i felt blessed to have 2 healthy daughters. I get so sad, everyday, i lost my eldest daughter jennifer 7/4/2008 after a long battle with cancer. she found out in 2002 she had stage IV hodgekins lymphoma. after two series of chemo and a bone marrow transplant she was in remission. we were so happy, but she had every post side effect of the chemo and her lungs became toxic causing pulmonary fibrosis ( hardening of the lungs. In 2006 she contracted double pneumonia which led to a blood infection. that year she was in the ICU 4 times on a ventilator. Each day was a roller coaster ride, we didnt know wheather she would survive but she was a fighter. the last time she was intubated she had to be on constant oxygen. Painfully and slowly she deteriated, and I became her full time caregiver. She passed at age 31. my younger daughter jess is now 31 and since jenn passed she moved back home, the only thing that keeps me going is my grandson who will be 11 in a couple of weeks. He is the reason I can make it through each day. the following January 2009 my husband had a massive heart attack and had a quadruple bypass. hes okay now. I was my daughters patient advocate and caregiver. I studied constantly so I would be prepared and aware of everything related to her illness. Trust me I had a lot of confrontations with several doctors, several were very in competetant. Its so important for you to research every thing you are going through. This way u r in charge of your well being and care. do not leave it up to medical staff. if you are hospitalize make sure your Primary caregiver physician is involved. they know you best and will make sure you will be taken care of if u r ever hospitalized. One more thing, find a doctor who will take the time to listen to you, one that is compassionate, caring, and is overly protective of your overall health. Bad teeth can cause so many other physical problems as well. Mayo clinic online is a good place to research medical issues. Web Md is also a good source of information. well i need to get to bed, i am having a colonoscopy in the morning. bye the way Im starving lol. drinking clear liquids is just not cutting it. Hope to hear from you soon.

Cindy
|

replied April 30th, 2010
Hi Cindy.
I wanna thank you again for your advice. And to say how very sorry I am to hear about your daughter. To deal with a loss of a child, I couldn't imagine the pain you are going through with that alone... And then to have you husband have a heart attack so soon after, must of been terrible for you and your family... It's just not fair that good people have to go through such terrible things like you have. I've heard too many stories like yours lately, it makes me kinda sad at first, but in the end it gives me hope. Knowing that there are good people out there that have to live through awful things, but end up stronger for it.

I am in the process of changing my insurance so that I have more options for doctors in my area. I also won't be going back to my dentist again. I went in Wednesday to have another tooth removed- I know it will make my tmj even worse, but the nerve was exposed, and I couldn't eat or drink anything with out causing shooting pains through my head. Anyway, it took him 45 minutes to get it out of my mouth! I held my head and jaw in place as best I could, but it felt like he was pulling out the two other teeth in front of the bad one! He gave me a small script for vicodin, 10. The rigt side of the roof of my mouth is kinda ripped up, very swollen, and VERY painful. I can't swallow with out causing major pain. And this morning I didn't dare to talk cause any pressure from my tongue makes it even worse. So I took my last pain killer and called my dentist when I felt better. They are only open til 12 on Fridays, and not open at all on Mondays. I didn't want to have to deal with the pain until Tuesday! So I asked for some more pain killers. They said they had to check with the doctor since I just got a script from them on Wed. I said ok. They called me back and said they were faxing a script for me. I was so relieved! I had to work today, and didn't have time to pick up the script til I got off work. When I finally got off and go the script and went ome and looked in the bag, I almost cried. They were motrin 800s... I take motrin 600s as it is and I told the nurse all of this the day I had the extraction. I also explained to her that I don't even take them like my doctor told me to because it causes other issues with my stomach- even with the zantac- and it makes my neck stiff which causes me to get sick to my stomach still.
So now I am at a loss of what to do. I want to call them and leave a nasty message, lol, but I know that's just childish and won't help me in the end anyway, so I won't be doing that! And I don't know if I can go see another dentist about what's going on, cause I don;t know if my medicaid will cover it since they only cover extractions and I'm not sure if this would be considered an emergency...? I guess if it gets infected, it will be considered one! But I don't want that either, lol...
So from today on, I am writing a "Pain Journal" So that when I do go to the doctors or even the dentist, they can read that and have a better understanding of what is going on with me.
I know I am a few days late in responding, but I hope everything went well with the colonoscopy! And again, thank you!
|

replied April 30th, 2010
Supporter
Kristal,

Dont wait until Monday, go to the urgent care clinic nearby and let him know the excruitating pain you are dealing with. He at least can give you something that will last until Monday. Doctors cannot fax orders for pain meds, due to the strict laws, they can lose their license. Tell the doc that the vicodins are barely taking the edge off the pain, and ask for percocets, they work better for me, vicodins only make me feel nauseous. Ask for a script for your nausea, promethazine 25mg.. These might make you a little sleepy, but you will not have to deal with the nausea. Tell him I am a RN, your cousin, work in the ER. He is going to wonder how you know what to ask for. Tell him I live in Michigan. From the pain you are describing it sounds like you may have what's called a dry socket. In the meantime have your hubby, or someone go to the drugstore and get you oralgel. Keep putting in on, also I would suggest placing an aspirin directly near the area and let it melt. Another thing, when you do take a pain killer if you take an aspirin with it the pain meds will work quicker. Your dentist should not be pulling your teeth, he is not qualified, their are so many nerves involved that why an oral surgeon is needed. Don't worry about me, I will tell you all about my great luck when you feel better. Also make an ice pack and put it on your cheek, this might help, gargle with salt water, just dont swallow. Make sure you are taking a stool softener, miralax, something, because these meds can be extremely constipating and I would hate for you to become impacted. Purchase rantadine 150 ml's instead of Zantac, its the same thing, only much cheaper. Eat something when you are taking the pills which will lessen the harsh side effects you are having. Let me know tomorrow how you are doing. Please go see an urgent care doctor. My heart breaks when I know someone is in pain. I had to watch my daughter go through it, and whenever I hear someone has to go through what you are experiencing I want to cry. Now go to the drug store if you are still awake and get some oral gel extra strength. Also placing a tea bag on the area might help as well.

Worried
Cindy
|

replied May 1st, 2010
Sorry I'm so late getting back to you. I went to bed no long after I wrote you and I've been sleeping and laying down as much as possible. I've been having major neck pain and it seems to happen every time I take the damn motrin. But I am gonna go to the ER tomorrow after I get off work. I'm sick of calling the doctor- and dentist and them not taking me seriously. And I'm sure you're right about it being dry socket, I had it the last time he pulled some of my teeth. And the stool softener isn't gonna be needed. I never have a hard stool unless I am taking vicodin. I've always had some issues with diarrhea, but with the depression meds it's very rare to have a "normal" stool. I am rinsing with the salt water already as well. Basically I am doing everything the instructions they sent me home with- all but the smoking- but even that I have been doing less of- I've had maybe 4 cigarettes all day- but I've been sleeping a lot so...? I've been smoking a little less than a pack a day since I was 15, and I've actually cut down a bit in the last few months, me and my boyfriend split a pack a day- I smoke more than he does though. I know it doesn't help the healing process, but right now I'm just not ready to quit, my mind just won't be able to handle it. I was just switched from zoloft to prozac not even two weeks ao, so they haven't kicked it all the way yet. I'm getting angry- and snapping at people over silly stuff. I just don't want to make things even harder on people than I already am. But as I said I will go to the ER tomorrow after work, which will be around 1-2:30pm. When I get back, I will be sure to let you know how everything goes! Thank you for all of your compassion. It makes me feel better mentally, knowing I can talk to you... So thank you!
|

replied May 2nd, 2010
Hi Kristal it's Ebony

I hope your feeling better than yesterday I thpught about you today hoping you were okay...
|

replied May 3rd, 2010
Hi Ebony! I'm doing a lot better than I have been. Still in a bit of pain even with the pain killers, but it's wayyy better than it was. Plus the gyno doctor today was awesome. She explained everything that I needed to know about the HG cervical dysplasia. And how I will be treated for it. And even with the possible Fibromyalgia, she gave me a few options,
1. She could call my family doctor and let her & or him know that I would be coming in to take about that- and only that. or 2. I can just talk with her about it and she can do all the testing and if need be, treating for it. I obviously chose number 2, lol. I'm not going back to that doctor again! And she said she was really glad I was able to ask her questions and felt comfortable doing so, and also said that yes, she is a Gynecologist, but her main goal is women's health. So even though I may have Fibro, it's not as bad as it could be. And if caught earlier I may be able to avoid the major pain and suffering that my friend is going through, and won't have to be on heavy narcotics for the rest of my life...
|

replied May 4th, 2010
thats so good I''m glad to hear your getting the proper care that you need..and I like this gyno already ^_^
|
Must Read
Fibromyalgia causes pain in the body. Learn the basic facts about fibromylagia and how doctors define this syndrome here....
Are people diagnosed with fibromyalgia born with a lower tolerance for pain? Are you at more or less risk of fibromyalgia? More info and causes and risk here....
Symptoms of fibromyalgia can be mistaken for other conditions. Can you identify common signs and symptoms of fibromyalgia?...