Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

TMJ disorder & bruxism // mouth guard changed my bite?

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I suffered from TMJ since 2013, probably caused by bruxism. My jaw was clicking & hurts during 2013 but after that I only have sore jaw sometimes. I started wearing a mouth guard to sleep in 2016 to prevent bruxism & thus teeth sensitivity. However, my mouth guard now has holes at the molars. So I wanted to get a new mouth guard. But the dentist discovered that my bite has worsened-there's a large gap bet. my upper & lower front teeth. Upon reading online, I found that many who wore a mouth guard also have worsened bite. I'm thinking that this is the case for me too. So, the dentist told me to get braces first.. What if I stop wearing the mouth guard? Will my bite improve itself? But I'm afraid of grinding my teeth flat+teeth sensitivity+sore jaw if I don't wear it... I read that mouth guard for TMJ & bruxism are different. Should I get one made of hard material instead of soft plastic type like my current one? Would that not worsen my bite?
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Quick Reply