I've recently seen an oral-maxillofacial surgeon as my jaw has been locked for a while now (limited opening around 15mm - 20mm on a good day). My x-rays showed two upper wisdom teeth (one on each side) that are growing sideways (I'm a 15 year old female)? I have been told to wait 4 weeks then come back if my jaw is still locked. I don't want to seem whiny but I really really do not want to wait 4 weeks with limited jaw movement? It is only occasionally painful but impacts my day-to-day life in SO many ways. Is there any way my wisdom teeth could be connected to the locked jaw? I am so confused and my questions to the surgeon were met with vague medical terms and a 'see you in 4 weeks'.

**I had been seeing previous maxillofacial surgeons beforehand about my TMJ problems and none of them mentioned my wisdom teeth growing at such an angle. On my x-rays they are quite literally pointing towards my cheeks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2009
Supporter
Poisonous snake lands in your lap.
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2009
Experienced User
Sometimes wisdom teeth crowding can be a trigger for severe clenching or bruxism which can get your jaw out of alignment. Having them removed will sometimes end the bruxing. Just be sure the oral surgeon who removes them understands that you have these jaw problems.

Though the wisdom teeth might be the trigger for your problem, the root is likely neurological. If the wisdom teeth removal doesn't stop your bruxing, try the drug combinations I've mentioned in other posts, or botox.
|

replied February 26th, 2012
TMJ ISSUE
I am 18 years old and have had problems with my left jaw joint for over a year. The first time it locked it didnt really hurt and the doctor injected a high dose of some kind of muscle relaxation, which made me sleep a whole day and when I woke up my jaw was un-locked. After that it was very uncomfortable. It didnt feel right. It locked again 6 months later and my doctor put me on diasipam. this did not work. this time it was locked for three months- which was horrible as the pain was bad. then eventually it un locked again but unfortunately re-locked after two weeks. at this point I was sent to a maxillo-facial expert ad I had to wait 4 months and had a 'wash out' of the jaw (as well as some teeth) after this it did un-lock but the pain was agonizing. I saw the expert again 1 month later and he decided to remove my wisdom teeth at the bottom and give me another 'wash out'. I am now in the most pain I have been i and cant even fit my index finger in my mouth. which obviously is an issue when it comes to brushing..
What can I do now??
|