Hi, i'm new to the site and have had tinnitus in my left ear for about 1 1/2 years.
My left ear constantly hisses, I get neck pain occasionally, my eyes are always red, my jaw clicks when I open wide and the lymph node on the left side of my throat is swollen every morning.I had lymphoma about 8 years ago, I no longer have it.I see my oncologist every 6 month and my blood work comes back negative so I know it not lymphoma.I started with my pcp and he thought it was sinusitis,he prescribed antibiotics which were no help, I then saw an ENT who tested my hearing, he had me get a CAT Scan and then an MRI. He told me my ears were fine and I should see an oral surgeon because he believed I had TMJ. When I called the oral surgeon I was told my insurance (Cigna) doesn't cover TMJ so I talked to my dentist, he said it's possible that I'm clenching my teeth at night and a mouth guard may help. So I'm going to check with my dental insurance (Delta Dental) on how much would they may cover. In the meantime my wife mentioned a co worker had a similar problem and went to her chiropractor who cured it in a few visits. This chiropractor told her the mouth guard is the worse thing you could do. Now I'm confused I trust my dentist but my wife feels the chiropractor is the best option. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 29th, 2014
zwk,

You don't get treatment for TMJD with insurance, period. If you want to fix the problem and you have a chronic problem that won't get better you pay for it youself. The only exception is some surgery, but you probably don't require that.

The supposed cure (hopefully) is a fixed orthotic that you wear 24/7 on your lower teeth. This is designed for a relaxed bite. You wear that for some time and if you improve you get braces to put your teeth in that position.

The doctors who do this are normally LVI master levels or some others who specialize only in TMJ and aren't LVI master level.

Don't think about the money, think about if this is the right treatment for you. You need to try the orthotic probably.
|
Did you find this post helpful?