I have had severe TMJ pain for 4-1/2 months. I'm 50. I work in a technical field and the pain is making concentration very difficult. Normally I have to work at all hours to handle any problems. That is I'm on call in addition to working 9-10 hours a day. The TMJ pain is pretty constant and is causing fatigue making any 2am calls very difficult. The pain is also causing me to curtail my playing of music which is my hobby. The TMJ pain is exacerbated by stress and work and the on-call are my primary stressor. At times it seems like the only way to deal with the TMJ would be to just stop working for some number of months and focus on getting better. But if I just quit I'd lose my health insurance. From what I've read on the Internet - it sounds like the disability insurance folks are not very sympathetic to folks with TMJ regardless of the severity. I wondered if anyone else out there with TMJ was able to go on LT disability while they recovered.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 8th, 2011
Experienced User
TMD
I have been on disability for months already. With my pain and brain disturbance, exhaustion plus many other symptoms such as dizziness, problem with balance, I could not work. If I did not get approved of disability insurance, I would just go homeless. I couldn't work with this severe TMJD symptoms. This is the most debilitating problems I've ever had. Sometimes, I feel like I would just rather not continue on living if this is the kind of suffering I must endure every day. There is never a day that I feel normal since this started over a year ago.

The problem of having this disease is that no one can see our suffering.

If you cannot work, have your doctor put you on disability until you recovered.

The suffering that we have to endure with this TMD is just soooo much and expensive to treat and not covered by insurance.

Good luck to you on your recovery.
|

replied January 10th, 2011
Experienced User
How do you go about getting TMD covered by disability? I have ST and LT disability as well as TMJ. How severe does your TMD need to be in order to have it covered?
|

replied January 11th, 2011
Experienced User
TMD/disability
With my symptoms, I couldn't work. My suffering such as sever pain, brain feels like swinging/cramping, dizziness, feeling like I do not have a balance, anxiety and anxiety attacks plus other symptoms make me unable to work. My dentists filled out the papers. It's almost a year since I went on disability. I'm seeing my dentist for treatments and there has been some improvements. Hopefully, I'll continue to get well and be back to normal life again.

My symptoms are severe, there is no way I could work feeling so ill like this. These TMD is so debilitating.

Hoping for the best to all of us.
|
Users who thank dreamscometrue for this post: zerenitynow 

replied April 4th, 2011
Experienced User
I am just now reading your replies. Thank you very much. I have had some improvement and will share this. Not sure if it will help you - but the second tip to hold mouth wide open is a keeper. Also finding relief in swimming free style. And I think this is connected to also needing to have the mouth wide open for the breathing.
|